• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tringa? (1 Viewer)

dfd

Hi all,

This one crossed the viewfinder when I was tracking something else and I grabbed this shot, any thoughts? It had disappeared by the time I could get scope views and I did not see any flight diagnostics, in fact the only view I had of this one is in the LCD. Hmmm...tickable???

Thanks,

D

PS Location - Castro Marim last week

Attachments

• castromar.jpg
    castromar.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 306
Harry & Jane,

Thanks for that...I took the shot last Sat in SE Portugal (a bit out of normal range?) and only loaded it in to Photoshop this evening. On zooming I saw the super to rear of eye and spotting on flanks and thought Marsh Sand. Bill looks a bit thicker than I'd imagined, or less fine at any rate. It'd be a WP tick for me. Now...is LCD view tickable?

Ta again,

Dave

It's interesting with these swimming guys, I've seen allready Marsh sandpipers swimming like this one, but it was a novelty to me to see Ruffs swimming, and not only one but hundreds of them were swimming like this Marsh sanpiper.
Jozsef
PS This guy is rather rare out there isn't he?

I had 2 in Portugal in May 2002, so I guess they do occur. I've also had them on all 3 trips to Mallorca, but then again that is not Portugal, so I don't know why I mentioned it...

dfd said:
Now...is LCD view tickable?
Well you saw the bird and subsequently confirmed its id. Why not?

On the other hand, its a bit like CCTV at a reserve. I remember my first time at Loch Garten you couldn't see the ospreys directly but they had CCTV on the nest. Well, you can't tick a TV picture can you? Or is it ok if it's live? So if I watched a live wildlife program from the other side of the world, it would give a new meaning to "armchair tick".

I've ticked Demoiselle Crane and it was a couple of months later when I watched my video footage that I IDed that. It was the 6th for Greece. Relax!

Attachments

• dem_crane.jpg
    dem_crane.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 192
Hi Alastair,

Alastair Rae said:
Well you saw the bird and subsequently confirmed its id. Why not?

On the other hand, its a bit like CCTV at a reserve. I remember my first time at Loch Garten you couldn't see the ospreys directly but they had CCTV on the nest. Well, you can't tick a TV picture can you? Or is it ok if it's live? So if I watched a live wildlife program from the other side of the world, it would give a new meaning to "armchair tick".
I'd say its OK to tick if it was done with your own equipment held by yourself (i.e., so the bird was visible to you in the viewfinder). But I wouldn't want to tick relayed images on a TV screen. Nor would I tick something photo'd with a remote control while it is out of direct view for the observer.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back