• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon ssp (1 Viewer)

I would think there's probably some Peregrine in it, although I wouldn't rule out a hybrid. It looks quite pale underneath for a pure Peregrine and perhaps on the upperwing too but maybe there are races where this is okay. It's a bit hard to tell for sure from the pictures because the plumage detail is difficult to discern clearly.

I don´t know, somehow it doesn´t look like a pure peregrine to me; allthough it is quite peregrine-like;
but especially the light brown back and the hintof a light crown/nape area suggests to me a saker might be involved somewhere in its ancestry- though I am nowhere near sure...

I think it got a lot of Peregrine in it... moustacials and build show that... its amazingly pale, so either leucistic (I've seen melanistic) or x eg lanner, prarie etc.

Is that a Black Tern its after?

Probably just a Peregrine for me, the structure doesn't really hint at anything else. Is that a Black or a White-winged Black Tern it's chasing in the top left pic?

Dave

"looks like black tern to me"

Fair enough but isn't it odd for a Black Tern to show such a white rump and tail?

Dave

Hi Dave,
think you are right and I am wrong-
I didn´t realize that the underwing is black-
I think that´s diagnostic for Whitewinged tern; if I remember correctly!?

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back