• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

Interestingly Phil, sightings at RSPB Ham Wall re ducks strikes a similar note. I noticed the following remarks on the website over the weekend.
" Duck numbers still seem quite low, although Shoveler, Mallard, Teal and Wigeon can be seen quite easily, just not in large numbers" and " There seems to be a distinct lack of Tufted Duck at present for some reason". Any theories?

Des.

Hi Des - I note that Steve Nuttall reports only 7 Tufted Duck at Belvide today :eek!: Its not just UW which is experiencing this marked reduction in numbers.

Unusual that there seems to be a lack of Tufted and Pochard when there are really good numbers of Bean and White-fronts brought across by a lengthy south-easterly period in late October.

I'd have thought that these birds would have originated from a similar location or perhaps all the duck overshot into Ireland?!

At Withymoor (Stourbridge) I usually record 4-6 birds at this time of year but have not seen a Tufted Duck for over 7 weeks.......Oh and it was'nt me that had the GWE last week!:eek!:

Laurie -:t:

Tuesday work party at North Moors

A bit late but here goes
Another well attended session with 12 of us creating some new viewing screens.
These were sited at the top of the north moors reed bed (formerly known as Dr Rowe's pool). Each screen had four 8 foot rounded posts installed at 2 foot intervals. These were then interwoven with varying diameters of fresh cut willow branches. Janet, Sue's and Charles was the west screen and Paul M and John C's was the east, different techniques but the same outcome..this being pretty rustic, robust and structurally sound constructions (a rather touchy subject at present that we will not be discussing here 8-P). The viewed area from the screens, was strimmed and in time will be tweaked accordingly. In conjuction with this the dead hedge on the side of the two approach paths was built up. It is hoped all this area will scrub over with bramble mostly and provide food and nesting sites for both scrub and reed loving species. On approach to the screens please try and keep quiet and approach cautiously. The credit for this creation must go to Dave H and Mark (Hagar):t: who's idea it was but who unfortunately couldn't make it yesterday ..Hope we got it right lads. As well as the Builders credit to Ray C, Paul H (Beyonder), Tony H, Steve and the two Terries for sourcing the willows some of which had to be brought from Amy's marsh.:eek!:
If anyone has any comments on how to enhance this area please feel free to do so, whether on here or by PM.

We have almost finished off the seasonal pool (photos will be on another post later). Today we raked up leaf debris which will encourage higher water levels and muddy edges. The area will be monitored to access the impact of the willows removal on the flora and fauna. I am sure this will be a possitive outcome. The water is already coming back and next week the large trunks will be chainsawed and treated by the Trust.
The 4 pics show the new screens
1 and 2 are the East screen and subsequent view
3 and 4 the west

Attachments

• NM east screen 6th Dec.JPG
    NM east screen 6th Dec.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 110
  • NM view from east screen 6th Dec 11.jpg
    NM view from east screen 6th Dec 11.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 95
  • NM the west view screen 6th Dec.jpg
    NM the west view screen 6th Dec.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Nm view from west screen 6th Dec 11.jpg
    Nm view from west screen 6th Dec 11.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Tremendous work John. Will you please convey my (and I'm sure other's) thanks to the Tuesday team when you see them next.
Top notch effort!

Last edited:
Wow I too am impressed with the viewing screen, well done to all involved, I wish I could make those tuesday work parties :-C

More from Tuesday's work party
The first 3 pics show the seasonal pool
1 viewing from the east side
2. viewing from west side
3. viewed from the north trail

The 4th pic shows the NE blackthorn thicket, after that the semi circle was cut within it.

Attachments

• NM from the east side of seasonal pool (2).JPG
    NM from the east side of seasonal pool (2).JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 76
  • NM seasonal p viewed from west 6th Dec11 (2).JPG
    NM seasonal p viewed from west 6th Dec11 (2).JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 75
  • NM Seasonal pool 6th dec 11 (2).JPG
    NM Seasonal pool 6th dec 11 (2).JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 89
  • NM the NE blktn thicket after ride cut (2).JPG
    NM the NE blktn thicket after ride cut (2).JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 79

The 4th pic shows the NE blackthorn thicket, after that the semi circle was cut within it.

Great work John, Paul et al - this area is often alive with warblers during passage so its great to open up the views and vary the habitat. I could easily imagine a Wood Warbler or Pied Fly turning up in such an area.

Phil

Todays highlights:

With hide construction at the Flashes, virtually all day was spent at the Moors and generally very quiet.

MOORS:
Teal (c60)---------------------Shoveler (12)
Tufted Duck (4)---------------G C Grebe (5)
Cormorant (23)---------------B H Gull (c200)
Snipe (5)----------------------Curlew (18)
Herring Gull-------------------Water Rail
Kestrel------------------------ Low numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare

ED RES:
Redpoll (4)

Des.

Please note that it is likely to be a further two weeks until the hide will be open at the Flashes. Any queries / comments should be directed to Worcestershire Wildlife Trust on 01905 754919 or [email protected]

Phil

Todays highlights:

With hide construction at the Flashes, virtually all day was spent at the Moors and generally very quiet.

MOORS:
Teal (c60)---------------------Shoveler (12)
Tufted Duck (4)---------------G C Grebe (5)
Cormorant (23)---------------B H Gull (c200)
Snipe (5)----------------------Curlew (18)
Herring Gull-------------------Water Rail
Kestrel------------------------ Low numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare

ED RES:
Redpoll (4)

Des.

Were they actually working on it, or didn't you walk down that far?

All looking good. Be interesting to see if Teal get on the seasonal pool if it fills up. Remember seeing (well inadvertently flushing) 2-3 there on a few occasions in the 90s. Scrub should be looking good for next spring.

With the Azorean Yellow-legged Gull that has been doing the rounds in the Midlands reported earlier in the week at Bartley Res, it is well worth everyone keeping an eye on the larger gulls for an individual resembling at Lesser Black-backed with a heavily streaked head.

With the Azorean Yellow-legged Gull that has been doing the rounds in the Midlands reported earlier in the week at Bartley Res, it is well worth everyone keeping an eye on the larger gulls for an individual resembling at Lesser Black-backed with a heavily streaked head.

I don't know, changing your identity. Just to confuse people I suppose?

Interesting to note Phil that at Belvide on Tuesday there were only 7 Tufted and 15 Pochard. Today they had 37 Tufted and 33 Pochard. Will be interesting if we have any increaseB :)John

I never knew your name was Phil Andrews8-P:-O
I thought it was Phil Upton:smoke:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back