• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (5 Viewers)

Sorry about the quality but the displaying Eider at Penzance was a long way off.
The Gulls don't seem to mind the attention.

Attachments

• eider1.jpg
    eider1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 156
  • eider2.jpg
    eider2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 163
strangely marked house sparrow

This house sparrow has been visiting our bird table for weeks now, I at first thought it was some sort of staining.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 96
I think this is probably feather wear, as the bases of feathers are normally darker than the tips. So any excessive wear (result of feather mite attack perhaps) results in a darker appearance to the plumage.

Lots of Whimbrel about on Wednesday, I saw a group of around 70 in the Penzance area in the afternoon and another smaller group a bit later in the same area. I don't recall seeing such numbers before, is this unusual?

I sent a report to CBWPS but unsure if they got it as recently upgraded computer from Windows XP to Windows 8 and still getting used to it! :)

Lots of Whimbrel about on Wednesday, I saw a group of around 70 in the Penzance area in the afternoon and another smaller group a bit later in the same area. I don't recall seeing such numbers before, is this unusual?

Not that unusual I think, but certainly nice - similar flock sizes seen briefly about this time of year last year - migrating birds passing through.

Visiting Cornwall for the first time at the end of May. Camping in Devon (near Tavistock), so hoping to find plenty in east Cornwall. Any recommendations?

Terek Sandpiper at Walmsley Sanctuary

Adrian Langdon, the CBWPS Warden for the reserve has commented on access for tomorrow as follows:

"I’ll open the hide at 06:30 and ask for it to be left open for the day.
I’ve arranged parking for a voluntary donation of £2 in the field by the bridge. It has an advertising banner on the gate for “storage facilities” on the gate and we are asked to park to the right on higher ground to avoid getting stuck and tearing up the field!"

Thanks Adrian.

Good luck if you go and please follow any on site instructions.
Dave

I'm heading to Cornwall for a weeks holiday on the 9th May and I'm hoping to see a Cirl Bunting while down there. I know the reintroduced colony are on the Roseland Peninsula, but can anyone tell me exactly where to look ?

The Night Heron again at Tresemple Pool This Evening 20:10 - 21.00. Showing well on the north bank waters edge near pallet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back