• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (3 Viewers)

Whilst the dreams continue... I was out checking the traps this morning to be rewarded with my first UK Jersey Tiger down at Pendennis!

Attachments

• Jersey Tiger.jpg
    Jersey Tiger.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Jersey Tiger1.jpg
    Jersey Tiger1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 53
Hi Dan,

where did you hear this news, who took photo, can we publish the photo on CBWPS news page?

Tony Mills
assist County BIrd Recorder

Sorry Tony, all a bit of a false alarm!

Have posted to the rare bird thread. Apologies for any confusion caused, also didn't allow for the fact that real news is of course picked up from here ...

Oops.

Sorry Tony, all a bit of a false alarm!

Have posted to the rare bird thread. Apologies for any confusion caused, also didn't allow for the fact that real news is of course picked up from here ...

Oops.

Dan, i always look for your posts with interest and add them onto the daily CBWPS news page, however, i did suspect the Tattler record and so it didn't go online, so no harm done, Dream on my friend!

Only have a bit of internet on my phone so brief update. Been mothing almost continuously for the last month so very little opportunity to go birding but very glad I made it down to Pendennis Point this evening. From about 6-8:30pm 1 juv Marsh Harrier on the seawatch was a little bizarre, but then flew closer to the shore and up the Carrick Roads. Most of the Manxies started out very distant but came ever closer until they were visible with the naked eye, giving some of the best views I've ever had of them on patch (might have had something to do with the brilliant catches the fishermen on the rocks below me were getting). There were hundreds milling around and thanks to the use of Dan's tripod it was a doddle picking out the distant Sooty. Equally good was a close in Balearic, first heading West then 10 mins later one heading East at the same range so probs the same bird. A small pod of dolphin sp's briefly appeared under a torrent of hundreds of diving Gannets and finally my first returning patch Wheatear of the Autumn lingering on the point.

... to go birding but very glad I made it down to Pendennis Point this evening. From about 6-8:30pm 1 juv Marsh Harrier on the seawatch ...

That's what you call a good session!

Back late last night and out this morning 7:15 - 9:15, nice variety but not quite on the same level.

Pendennis Point -

A distant group of diving Gannet accompanied by a handful of manxies, later several hundred Manx Shearwater moving/milling at the 5 -8 mile range, Gannets passing west distantly and 4 Fulmar closer in.
Sandwich Tern heard. 15+ Med Gull in the Carrick Roads feeding as part of c.100 small gull flock.

1 Whimbrel and 3 Redshank on the east side of Pendennis
1 Turnstone and 3 Ringed Plover flew west
3 Rock Pipit and 1 White Wagtail on the point
3 Swallow around the rocks
Buzzard etc

Castle Beach -

10 Oystercatcher
1 Med Gull

Swanpool Point -

1 Ringed Plover
1 Med Gull
1 Curlew
1 Willow Warbler on the coastal path

Swanpool -

2 Kingfisher chasing in vigorous territorial flight for the duration of my visit
12 Tufted Duck etc
2+ juv Fulmar on cliffs

I was at Pendennis the same time as you Dan, just in the woodland checking traps! Would have liked to see the White Wag, so close yet so far.

Did get 2 Jersey Tigers (both of the form lutescens) on the east side and heard the Whimbrel calling along with the 1-2 of the Redshanks.

Forgot to mention also had a brief view of what was almost certainly a Hummer yeseterday afternoon also at the point and better views of one a couple days ago in central Falmouth.

Finally a pic of a Mole (life ticked ;)) displaying one of the benfits of cycling as you get to see the stuff car drivers kill :C

Also pics below of the juv Eider from a week or so ago. Don't have the adaptor to download yesterday's pics of the Marsh Harrier but I'll post them sooner or later.

Attachments

• DSC075831.jpg
    DSC075831.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC075811.jpg
    DSC075811.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC07586.JPG
    DSC07586.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 53
Should have contacted you earlier in the day, soz!

Forgot the other mega of the day - Collared Dove down on Castle Beach, think that might be a site tick.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River this afternoon, high tide, with Samuel P -

c.50 Redshank
2 Curlew
2 Whimbrel
2 Oystercatcher
4 Turnstone
2 Common Sandpiper
4 Greenshank
5 Dunlin
10 Ringed Plover
6 Mute Swan
1 Little Grebe
1 Little Egret
1 LBBGull
25 BH Gull

Bit of a wader-fest, high counts of Dunlin and Ringed Plover for sure. And most unexpected of all -

1 Fulmar

It is tidal, but also counts as being 2 miles inland!

Samuel also had 3 Common Scoter across Falmouth Bay on the 18th, and c.35 on the 17th Aug.

Last edited:
Hit high tide slightly later today, a fair bit quieter -

Gorrangorras -

36 Redshank
9 Ringed Plover
1 Common Sand
4 Dunlin
1 Curlew

Argal Res -

11 GCGrebe (including some large young)
3 Mute Swan (2 ad 1 young)
15+ Mallard
1 Little Egret (only my second here)
1 Grey Heron
2 Common Sandpiper
25 BH Gull
c.20 Mallard
200+ Swallow
1 House Martin
3 Sand Martin
300+ Linnet flock (including lots of juv)
3+ Whitethroat
1 Grey Wagtail
6+ Willow Warbler

College Res
-

100+ Herring Gull
1 GBBGull
3 LBBGull
35+ Mallard
3 GCGrebe (ad, 2juv)
c.5 ea Moorhen and Coot
1 Grey Heron
1 Grey Wagtail

Falmouth Bay was quiet pm, with some distant manxies and Gannets, and a juv Little Grebe on Swanpool. No Tattlers anywhere.

(With S Perfect)

Last edited:
A couple pics as promised, including the juv Marsh Harrier from a couple days ago, one of the two form lutescens Jersey Tigers at Pendennis Point previously mentioned and finally a Hummer that's probably easier to ID from the shadow.

Attachments

• DSC078611.jpg
    DSC078611.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC078861.jpg
    DSC078861.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC078881.jpg
    DSC078881.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC07863.JPG
    DSC07863.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC077741.jpg
    DSC077741.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 45
Yesterday evening (25/08/14) -

Hour seawatch from Pendennis 5 - 6pm

30+ Manx Shearwater
3 Balearic Shearwater
100+ small shearwater sp.
1 Commic Tern
2 Kittiwake
6 Fulmar
Low numbers of Gannet, Med Gulls etc.

Today 26/08/14 -

Out early, unfortunately this mostly coincided with rain.

Gyllyngvase Beach -

7 Ringed Plover
12+ Med Gull

Swanpool Beach -

1 Kingfisher
with 10+ Manxie, 3 Kittiwake out in the bay west

Swanpool - Reed Warbler
Swanpool Golf Course - 8+ Whitethroat, 2+ Willow Warbler, Blackcap in the scrub along the cliffs

Had a quick look at Gorrangorras but visibilty too bad to see much.

Out this morning (should have posted up earlier in the day tbh) for a quick scurry around and seawatch.

Pendennis -

50+ Manx Shearwater milling around/sat on the sea (plus some distant passage west)
3 Common Scoter close in flew east into the roads (m and 2 f type)
Arctic Skua one distant dark west
2 Commic Tern offshore
20 Shag (flock) flew west
5+ Oyks "
Fulmars, Med Gulls and Gannets in low numbers
1 Tall ship in the fog/low cloud (whose name escapes me atm)

Joined almost immediately once I'd arrived by JSL, who went and got his scope, probably a first for me at the site! Some of the manxies were pretty close - again first 'perched' views I've enjoyed here. Nice!

Gyllyngvase Beach -

7 Ringed Plover
3 Med Gull

Swanpool -

1 Kingfisher

Yesterday (29/08/14) - a mega day in local terns, as it turned out.

Out first thing after checking a disappointing moth trap in the garden -

Pendennis -

40+ Common Tern
3 Arctic Tern
3 Sandwich Tern
1 Black Tern

Flying close into the Carrick Roads, then out again (birds later seen off Swanpool and in the bay presumes same).

1 Whimbrel
4 Oyk
16 Manx Shearwater, a few other seabirds

Castle Beach -

5 Oyk
3 Med Gull

Swanpool Beach -

1 Kingfisher again flying around the corner
6 Oyk

Gorrangorras, Penryn River - high tide

68 Redshank
5 Greenshank
5 Turnstone
7 Dunlin
1 Oystercatcher
1 Whimbrel
30 Curlew
1 Little Egret
1 Little Grebe
1 Linnet on rooftop

Went back to the coast in the evening -

40+ Common Tern with 1+ Arctic and 1 juv Roseate Tern!!

5 Tern species in a day - just Little missing. Looks like good numbers and variety all around Cornwall as presumably birds heading south held up by the SW winds of late.

Spotted Flycatcher at 09:45 this morning in the trees outside the entrance of the Falmouth Hotel. Nice one for the house list!

Attachments

• AW0T8918.JPG
    AW0T8918.JPG
    839.7 KB · Views: 58
Been out and about a few times but nothing special to report - computer playing up too doesn't help.

Today -

Pendennis quiet in the morning fog - 2+ Blackcaps, 2 Fulmar patrolling, 1 Manx Shearwater east, 1 Med Gull.

Swanpool Point
- 5 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin

Argal Res - 3 Mute Swan (2ad 1juv), 2 Common Sandpiper, 5+ GCGrebe, 2 Moorhen

College Res - 20 Swallow, 2 House Martin, 16 Moorhen, 2 Coot, 4 Mute Swan (pair+juv, 1 ad), 1 Teal f type, 3 Grey Heron, 10 Mallard

Loads of birds on College today. Just walking round without bins looking for fungi.
5 Grey heron on the island, loads of gulls including LBB, 30 plus Canada geese plus the usual Mallards and Moorhens.
Oh and a Kingfisher on the dam stretch.
With the water so low the exposed areas are littered with Swan mussels. Everything must be gorging on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back