• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? (1 Viewer)

Tiktox

For the last couple of years I've been coming across the bird in the attached photos. It is seen around country lanes on lamp posts, hedgerows etc and always alone. I've tried to get close but no luck in getting a decent photo. I have got to about 6 feet of it before before it flies off but only have a camera phone. Apologies for the quality but I hope the underside wing marking of it in flight will help.

20130329_094945.jpg 20130329_095002.jpg

That was quick! Are they common around Warwickshire? Is it likely that its the same bird I see covering a 4 mile square radius or would it share its territory with another?

Henceforth, it shall be known as Billy.

They are quite common, but still a great sight when you see them well. There will be more than this one in the area - sometimes you can see several together soaring in the thermals.

They are quite common, but still a great sight when you see them well. There will be more than this one in the area - sometimes you can see several together soaring in the thermals.

Thanks. Yes...really impressive. So impressive in fact that cars have slowed down to view it because of its size and stature. Still think its the same bird covering the area around the village of Wellesbourne. I'm going to borrow a camera to get a pic. Should have one in a couple of days as sightings are so common.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back