• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Penzance Pelagics (1 Viewer)

Paul Penzance

Hi everyone

This summer we are starting regular pelagic trips heading out from Penzance onboard Mermaid II. We will get offshore and head west, chumming a few miles south off Lamorna and Porthgwarra before heading out towards the Wolf Rock lighthouse. Obviously we are aiming to find Wilson's Petrel as well as seeing all the usual species at this time of year including Great and Pomarine Skuas, Sooty and Balearic Shearwaters as well as a good variety of marine megafauna such as Harbour Porpoises, Common Dolphins, Minke Whales, Basking Sharks and Ocean Sunfish. We will see lots of Storm Petrels, Manx Shearwaters and Gannets and possibly at this time of year Great and Cory's Shearwaters.

The dates so far are Saturdays 27th July, 3rd and 10th August with later dates to be announced.

The trips will leave at 9am, returning at 5pm and cost £70 for 8 hours at sea.

Numbers are limited so book early by calling 07901731201

For details of the boat check out
http://www.cornwallboattrips.co.uk/boat-trips-penzance-cornwall/

The skipper Adrian Thomas has been at sea all his life while I am the marine wildlife guide onboard Scillonian III.

Paul Semmens

Hi Adam

Nothing planned yet but as the 3rd and 10th trips are now fully booked I will be shortly considering organising other trips. I keep everybody posted.

cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul

Down in St Ives on hols but Saturday to Saturday which could be awkward for full day trip, so any midweek or evening trips would be very tempting!

Adam

Hi

3rd and 10th August trips are now fully booked but Mermaid and I have organised 2 more on Sunday 18th August and Saturday 24th August. Both are 8 hour pelagics this time leaving at the slightly earlier time of 8am. Cost is £70 and bookings can be made by calling Mermaid's booking office on 07901731201

Hi Paul,

I only just found your trips so I am a bit late for this year but, if you are still running them, would be very interested for next summer. What would be very interesting for me, and perhaps others, is a short summary of how the trips went and what you saw.

Thanks

David

Hi David

There's details of sightings on the Sea Watch section of this forum.

The pelagic on 1st September had
20 Balearic Shearwaters
4 Sooty Shearwaters
1 Black Tern
1 Common Tern
4 Yellow-legged Gulls
8 Harbour Porpoise
5 Ocean sunfish
3 Basking Sharks
1 Minke Whale

Next trip on 15th September, 8 hours leaving at 9am. Book by calling 07901731201

cheers
Paul

Hi Mallingbirder

Yes we will again be doing pelagics this year. I will update details of trips on here when they are arranged.

Hope to see you on board

All the best
Paul

Hi guys

26th July will be our first pelagic of the season. Just pencilling things in at the moment but should be every Saturday weather and numbers permitting until mid September. As before 8 hours for £70 leaving at 8am.

Cheers
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back