• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Optics in the UK from the States (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Given that £1=$2 presently, has anyone done this? Is it still worth it with import duty? Do you ALWAY have to pay the import duty?

Sean

Exchange rates?

Are you assuming then that the price of discountedUS binoculars are 50% of that in the UK? Might get a very good value holiday in the USA but not sure how their prices are. Why not try an example - eg how much is the cheapest Zeiss 8 x 42 FLs in the states? They would have to be below $1700 to be cheaper methinks.

Also, is the question for someone in the UK buying from the States or other way round, not sure, bit tired.

seanofford said:
Given that £1=$2 presently, has anyone done this? Is it still worth it with import duty? Do you ALWAY have to pay the import duty?

Sean

I think Pyrtle is right that this subject has been much discussed.

However, I have bought camera optics from the states, once when I was there on work, and once from the UK. I brought the lens back over 10 years ago as hand luggage with no tax. I think I should have paid a small amount. On the other lens I paid tax (about 20%) but it was still cheaper than buying here. You can avoid tax if it is a gift, and some sellers send stuff marked as a gift to evade tax. That is illegal, and they and you risk prosecution and seizure. You decide.

As for birding optics, I take the view that it is important to try out equipment first, and that it is immoral to try here, then buy elsewhere. So make use of your local dealer, negotiate fair deals before trying, then buy from them if they have an item you like.

Just my opinion. Other will disagree.

PYRTLE said:
Are you assuming then that the price of discountedUS binoculars are 50% of that in the UK? Might get a very good value holiday in the USA but not sure how their prices are. Why not try an example - eg how much is the cheapest Zeiss 8 x 42 FLs in the states? They would have to be below $1700 to be cheaper methinks.

Also, is the question for someone in the UK buying from the States or other way round, not sure, bit tired.
Some optics seem twice as expensive (eg Leica bins) but others don't - a cursory glance at prices suggests the Nikon ED50 with zoom is significantly less in the states.
Sean

seanofford said:

Sean

It depends on how the seller fills in the customs forms. Last year I sent some optics to the UK from Japan marked as a gift and no fees were charged. They were secondhand and not worth very much though.

If you're buying an expensive item from a reputable dealer I'd imagine they'd do everything completely by the book and mark its commercial value on the package and probably also fill in Duty/VAT forms specific to the UK/EU.

Some may mark it as a gift though. For an expensive item I wouldn't use these companies. Like another poster suggested if (although it may be a pretty big if) HM Customs randomly check a package marked as "gift" and there's a brand new Scope in a box complete with invoice and unused warranty inside it's obviously illegal.

With the strength of GBP at the moment I'd imagine a lot of people are thinking of cashing in on cheaper imports. Those fancy new Kowa 770/880 Scopes are cheaper here in Japan than Opticron gear is in the UK. Even if you pay the fees you'll be quids in. With an expensive item I personally wouldn't mind paying the import duties. Dunno about the Warranty though.

Last edited:
stuprice68 said:
Dunno about the Warranty though.

Some companies are very tight when it comes to honouring warranties for equipment bought overseas, others less so. The safest bet is to check with the company, and other peoples experiences (since the company might in practive honour the warranty despite words to the contrary).

One thing I have always wondered about is what happens if you go on holiday, buy a binocular, and come back with it round your neck. Do customs check? I would guess not.

As for birding optics, I take the view that it is important to try out equipment first, and that it is immoral to try here, then buy elsewhere. So make use of your local dealer, negotiate fair deals before trying, then buy from them if they have an item you like.

Just my opinion. Other will disagree.[/QUOTE]

I think its immoral that some UK dealers put such a big markup on optics.
Brian.

Leif said:
...One thing I have always wondered about is what happens if you go on holiday, buy a binocular, and come back with it round your neck. Do customs check? I would guess not.
Erm... yes. You would need to provide evidence that it was bought in the UK. If you take expensive goods abroad you ought to take a copy of the purchase receipt with you in case you are stopped.

seanofford said:

Sean
I inquired similarly in the past and found myself in a confusing subject area, here is what I recall:

VAT is not payable on goods up to the value of £18.00 and import duty is variable depending on the TARIC CODE , cost of post and packaging can be taken into the equation when assessing value limits.

My assessment was that unless the goods were bought at a very significant saving then you could end paying almost as much as you would pay in the UK, I also took into account the cost\hassle of returning goods if they were faulty; there is always the warranty validity issue to be considered as some goods purchased in the USA would not be covered in the UK.

My understanding is that it is a misconception that goods sent as a 'gift' are exempt from VAT\import duty etc.

John

seanofford said:
Some optics seem twice as expensive (eg Leica bins) but others don't - a cursory glance at prices suggests the Nikon ED50 with zoom is significantly less in the states.
From what I've seen, a typical US price for ED50 plus 13-30 zoom is $699 (around £350). That combination would cost £428 here. But you would have to add shipping ($40?), Import Duty (9%?) and VAT to the £350, bringing it up to around £463. And when you consider warranty problems and general hassle, it's not worth it.

The cheapest I've seen the body only in the US is $419 (around £210). Add on shipping, Import Duty and VAT and the UK price of £239 (including postage) doen't look too bad.

Michael.

medinabrit said:

Just my opinion. Other will disagree.

I think its immoral that some UK dealers put such a big markup on optics.
Brian.[/QUOTE]

I do not know for sure, but what I have heard from trade insiders suggests that dealers do not make huge mark ups. Indeed In Focus once got into big trouble when Leica reduced the price of gear as they had purchased a lot. It is a competitive business. Compare the premium brands, and even in the States they can be expensive. The big differences seem to be for Japanese gear, where we pay a lot. I presume this is the fault of the distributers.

narawood said:

My understanding is that it is a misconception that goods sent as a 'gift' are exempt from VAT\import duty etc.

That is how many Hong Kong dealers avoid you paying VAT on ebay purchases. The other route is to declare the item as "being returned after repair".

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back