• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you donate a pair of binocs or a book? (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

I've just returned from a visit to Zambia which included a week on a safari camp. I was struck by how much the guides knew of the wildlife, ID, behaviour etc. They are recruited from local villages and come basically from very ( and I mean very ) impoverished rural communities. Becoming a guide is difficult and expensive ( they have to pay for it and believe me it's not cheap ) All of this on top of contributing as a ( low ) wage earner to often extended families.

It is my belief that the future of conservation in Africa needs very knowledgeable people drawn from local communities who can communicate their own knowledge and enthusiasm, and who can use the respect gained in their communities to manage often difficult local situations like wild animal raids on crops, deforestation for commercial timber or charcoal.

The future of African wildlife will depend not just on financial input from wealthy nations but on the commitment from African people. They have enormous problems to deal with ,what with AIDS, poverty, etc and keeping conservation on their radar is going to be increasingly difficult.

To that end I'm trying to support some of the guides, not directly with cash, by providing field guides and binoculars. They often get buy on poor quality equipment and old field guides when really they need good quality binoculars and reasonably up to date field guides. I'm also going to get some books sent into local schools if I can. We visited a rural school and you would would not believe how committed the teachers are to educating the kids, and how keen the kids are to learn.

If anyone out there has any unwanted field or behavioural guides on South / Southern Africa ( birds, mammals, butterflies, anything ), in reasonable condition or has or is thinking of buying the latest mega bins, and whose current binocs are still in pretty good condition and is prepared to donate them then please contact me. Dont leave them on the shelf unused.

Anyway there's only so much I can do and can afford so I'm relying on you folks to help me out. If you need any evidence of how much support we need to give just look at the Times today ( 28/7/07 ) and the picture of 4 Gorillas slaughtered in Rwanda, probably as a warning to conservation bodies from logging interests. There is a long way to go.

If you havent been to Africa make a point of going soon, support the conservation groups who work there but also get to know the guides and local people, they will appreciate it.

If you can help let me know

Thanks

David

Hi Scodger,

You can try contacting binocular companies and see if they have a charitable giving program. Follow the instructions and you just might have a few binoculars donated straight from the company. If you need more details, please pm me.

Can you donate a apir of binocs or a book?

Hi

Thanks to those who have made offers to help, very much appreciated, if anyone else out there can help please do contact me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back