Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 4th March 2004, 17:39   #1
pburgers

South Dakota

Hello From South Dakota. My Name Is Paul Burgers And I Live In Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls Is In The Southeastern Part Of South Dakota. Some Of My Favorite Birding Spots In This Area Of The State Include Newton Hills State Park And Union Grove State Park, Both Of Which Are Great Spots For Spring Migrant Warblers, Thrushes, Vireos And The Like. There Is Also A Nature Conservancy Area Nearby That Can Be Very Good As Well. South Dakota Offers A Somewhat Unique Birding Situation In That The Eastern Part Of The State Offers Those Birds Considered To Be Eastern Species, The Central Portion Harbors Many Tall And Shortgrass Prairie Birds While The Western Portion Including The Black Hills Has Mostly Those Birds That Are Typically
Found In The Western Guides. The State Is Divided East From West By The Missouri River, Which In Fact Is Actually A Series Of Four Vast Impoundments, But Which Also Offer Their Own Birding Opportunities.
If Anyone Out There Is Ever Headed This Way And Is Interested, Drop Me An Email And I Would Be Delighted To Provide More Specific Information Regarding Birding Hotspots, Including The Black Hills. While I Live Nearly 400 Miles From Them I Am Very Familiar With Them And Know Some Very Fine Spots For Birding.
Old Wednesday 19th May 2004, 07:05   #2
Josef

Paul,

My name is Joe Vano and I live in Rapid City. I've been a birder on an off for the last40 some years. This year I discovered digiscoping and love it. I put my 2MP cam on a scope and then bought a new scope and then bought a new 6MP camera. I just finished my adapter for the new camera and hope to post some of our birds in the next couple months. If you know of anyone near the Black Hills that is into digiscoping I would like to meet them or on one of your trips this way let me take a picture of your favorite bird.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgers
Hello From South Dakota. My Name Is Paul Burgers And I Live In Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls Is In The Southeastern Part Of South Dakota. Some Of My Favorite Birding Spots In This Area Of The State Include Newton Hills State Park And Union Grove State Park, Both Of Which Are Great Spots For Spring Migrant Warblers, Thrushes, Vireos And The Like. There Is Also A Nature Conservancy Area Nearby That Can Be Very Good As Well. South Dakota Offers A Somewhat Unique Birding Situation In That The Eastern Part Of The State Offers Those Birds Considered To Be Eastern Species, The Central Portion Harbors Many Tall And Shortgrass Prairie Birds While The Western Portion Including The Black Hills Has Mostly Those Birds That Are Typically
Found In The Western Guides. The State Is Divided East From West By The Missouri River, Which In Fact Is Actually A Series Of Four Vast Impoundments, But Which Also Offer Their Own Birding Opportunities.
If Anyone Out There Is Ever Headed This Way And Is Interested, Drop Me An Email And I Would Be Delighted To Provide More Specific Information Regarding Birding Hotspots, Including The Black Hills. While I Live Nearly 400 Miles From Them I Am Very Familiar With Them And Know Some Very Fine Spots For Birding.
Old Wednesday 19th May 2004, 07:39   #3
John N
Super Moderator & Baggeridge Birder

Hi Paul and Welcome to birdforum.I look forward to maybe seeing some photo's and reading about life in your part of the world. It sounds like a wonderful place.Enjoy yourself. John.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:38   #4
veagle

Paul,

I realize that the message I am replying to is 4 years old, but taking the risk that you may still find this... My name is Dick Latuchie, and I live in Rapid City. Have just been getting into birding in more than a very casual way, and so would be interested in your hotspots in the Black Hills. I have gotten connected to a group called the Northern Hills Birding Club, and am learning alot on their trips twice a month. And my wife and I discovered Lacreek a few years ago, which was just amazing. Anyway, if you have any additional ideas for places to go, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Veagle
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: