• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-cheeked Bulbul offers me food (1 Viewer)

mafaque

Hi
A few days ago I was up north in my country which is Pakistan and while I was birding I happened to encounter a White-cheeked or Himalayan Bulbul. It came very near to me and caught a mantis from somewhere and was offering me it as a food. I knew that its breeding season but I didnt understand why it would offer me the food. Can anyone explain this behavior? I took some photos of it as well... attaching along.

Attachments

• 20690377_1669893243052351_2847164941865112392_o.jpg
    20690377_1669893243052351_2847164941865112392_o.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 101
Hi mafaque and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a wonderful experience that would have been for you. I'm unable to explain the behaviour though.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon who can though.

An excellent photograph!

I wonder if it was gathering food, noticed you, and came closer to investigate. Was it calling? If so, perhaps it was letting you know that it didn't appreciate your presence.

Hi,

I would agree too - maybe a nest was nearby.

Good analysis ... I spent a couple of hours in an observation tower with a wagtail nest in the rafters. The parents were gathering food, landing in the branches close by, and (more or less) patiently waiting for a moment no-one looked at them to fly into the nest and feed the young.

The young would then immediately make a racket, so all of the stealth and cunning was for nought ;-)

The pose of the parents, food in the beak, head turned to the side, intently looking at the photographer, was very much the same as in mafaque's beautiful shot, so I think you're most likely right!

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back