• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2016 (1 Viewer)

RE: Wolf spotting in the Sierra de la Culebra, Spain

We were thinking of spending a long weekend following the advice provided by Mike in his report. Just wondered if anyone has heard about any changes regarding site access etc, in the relevant areas? Obviously we appreciate they are far from guaranteed.

We were thinking of going around the weekend on the 4/3/16. At the moment there is just two of us, so if anyone else fancies joining in, then you would be more than welcome.

Regards, Phil

Clare and I followed a visit to the Gloucester Penduline Tits with Hawfinches at Parkend then an ineffective boar hunt. We did hear what must have been one moving away from us, but it didn't even grunt (which I'd have year-ticked as a call.) Loads of snouting, dung and hoofprints (including some VERY LARGE ones :eek!:) No Fallow Deer either: just a brief view of a Muntjac crossing the far end of a track we were staking out.

John

A reasonable weekend with Chinese Water deer, Brown hare, roe deer and muntjac but the birds stole it some cracking short eared owls oh and the serins.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_9621.JPG
    DSC_9621.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_9664.jpg
    DSC_9664.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_9255.JPG
    DSC_9255.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_9194.JPG
    DSC_9194.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 133
My mammal year list so far in order of appearance. Rabbit, Red Fox, Grey Squirrel, Otter, Red Deer, Fallow Deer, Muntjac. I saw two Brown Rats and a Wood Mouse at Fleet Pond today but have still failed miserably to see a Roe Deer, one of the most easily seen mammals in this area.

Clare

Attachments

• Wood-Mouse-small.jpg
    Wood-Mouse-small.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 124
First Badgers of the year last night along the Basingstoke Canal, also three Wood Mice photographed there. Haven't looked at the pictures yet.

Grey Seal (rubbish view) in the Swale this lunchtime, and a couple of Black Rabbits at Swale NR on a very big mound of earth seemingly dumped by humans (either that or there's a really big rabbit somewhere.....)

John

I've now looked at the "Wood Mouse" pictures and discovered that one of them is in fact a Yellow-necked Mouse. Perhaps inevitably its the one I didn't do so well with, but this photographing mammals in the dark is hard work....

Anyway, here are the pix:

John

Badger
Yellow-necked Mouse
Wood Mouse X 2

Attachments

• 20160122 (14)_Badger (800x533).jpg
    20160122 (14)_Badger (800x533).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160122 (15)_Yellow-necked_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    20160122 (15)_Yellow-necked_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160122 (16)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    20160122 (16)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20160122 (18)_Wood_Mouse (533x800).jpg
    20160122 (18)_Wood_Mouse (533x800).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 74
This weekend, Muntjac, bank vole and loads of squirrels at a feeding station, more muntjac while watching bitterns in the Lea Valley.

Brown rats in my garden

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_9942.JPG
    DSC_9942.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_9988.JPG
    DSC_9988.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 71
A few of us tried for last winter's stoat in ermine at Lakenheath, with varying degrees of success. If you missed it (like me) you might like to know it (or another) is back. Don't know more yet, I emailed the staff at Lakenheath just yesterday to see what the score is, but haven't heard back yet.

Regards

James

A few of us tried for last winter's stoat in ermine at Lakenheath, with varying degrees of success. If you missed it (like me) you might like to know it (or another) is back. Don't know more yet, I emailed the staff at Lakenheath just yesterday to see what the score is, but haven't heard back yet.

Regards

James

I failed last winter and again before Christmas so I'd love to hear any more information.

Just the one sighting apparently Steve but I asked them to put any more in their blog

I saw it yesterday morning briefly a few times in the same place as last year.
It is about 50% white.

Some poor record shots later, muntjac and another brief stoat the only other things of note.

Mark

It is about 50% white.

Some poor record shots later, muntjac and another brief stoat the only other things of note.

Mark

Well done Mark. I presume as it's mid winter that's as white as it's likely to get.

It is about 50% white.

Mark

As promised - not that great but I did warn you.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back