• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (6 Viewers)

Managed a photo of flycatcher but was at the very end of the Mortix walk in the bushes at side of field and strangely camera not set for "dark." Will lighten when get home and see if I can identify / post on thread!

Yesterday as well as flamingos down at the south of the island saw a nightingale at the water from the hide on route 4 at Son Real- as well as usual suspects and four turtle doves - and a tortoise!!

Managed a photo of flycatcher but was at the very end of the Mortix walk in the bushes at side of field and strangely camera not set for "dark." Will lighten when get home and see if I can identify / post on thread!

Yesterday as well as flamingos down at the south of the island saw a nightingale at the water from the hide on route 4 at Son Real- as well as usual suspects and four turtle doves - and a tortoise!!

Mortix was productive yesterday but sadly no Bonneli. Couple of black vultures came in " close' to check me out! Other birds were Griffin Vilture, blue rock thrush spotted flycatcher, hippie and black redstart. Was also a strangely coloured flycatcher which will check up on on my return to Yorkshire!

Doubt if much chance of a boat trip this time as too many family commitments so going to head to Salonrs de Campos today for greater flamingos and see if can find the roller!

Which boat trip would you have gone on? Be going on one in Sept, but not sure which to do.

This morning at s'Albufera.
Sa Roca, very quiet. Nothing of note. A dozen Stone Curlews, Mallards, Kentish Plovers, a dozen Starlings.
Es Cibollar I, initially quiet too but then 10 Avocets landed, followed by 2 Dunlins, 5 Little Stints, a Whimbrel, a few stroppy Little Egrets and 2 dozens BH Gulls, besides the usual BW Stilts, Kentish and LR Plovers. A Marsh Harrier cleared the decks for a while. Then an Osprey came in with its lunch.
A lightening-fast bird came out from the main scrub left of the hide into a small bush just in front to the left. Either a Spotted or Little Crake. Too fast to tell, too short a beak for Water Rail and definitely not a Moorhen which were cruising around later. I waited 2 hours but the bird did not come out.

A few (10ish) Bee-eaters were cruising around the main canal.

Then briefly onto the Depuradora. Very smelly, near unbearable. More dead birds on the platforms, a couple Pochards. A few distant Waders, Common Sandpipers, BW Stilts. An a few Coots. I left after 15 min because of the smell and heat, despite the wind. Nothing overhead.

Craig

Can't be too much help reference the boat trip as hadn't done too much research into it as wasn't sure if would be able to take time. Was thinking of looking at one from the South of the Island and circumnavigate an island down there. Not much help I'm afraid!

Quite a lively morning at the Cap with lots of local raptors circling the surrounding area, up to five Red Kite together, Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier, two Black vultures popped in to say hello and an adult Common Buzzard was seen twice. As it is far too early for a migrant, it may have bred nearby. This would be great news as there are only three reported pairs breeding in Mallorca. Because both the adult and immatures have been seen for over a week now, all the signs are there that they did indeed breed in the area. Mike

I wonder if anyone could help with this spider please? I have seen a few but can never find out which species it is. Thanks. Mike

Attachments

• DSCN9769.jpg
    DSCN9769.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 86
Then briefly onto the Depuradora. Very smelly, near unbearable. More dead birds on the platforms, a couple Pochards.

I noticed dead birds there over a month ago,when I visited with Mike.Does anyone know or have an Idea of the cause of these deaths ?

Thanks Martin, I will read up about it.
Ben Nevis, I will try to find out about the dead birds. I'm sure Maties knows so I hope he responds.
Mike

Thanks Martin, I will read up about it.
Ben Nevis, I will try to find out about the dead birds. I'm sure Maties knows so I hope he responds.
Mike

Hi Mike
There are at least three species of Argiope in Mallorca: A. trifasciata, A. bruennichi and A. lobata. I've seen all three in s'Albufera.
All quite spectacular.
Martin

Craig

Can't be too much help reference the boat trip as hadn't done too much research into it as wasn't sure if would be able to take time. Was thinking of looking at one from the South of the Island and circumnavigate an island down there. Not much help I'm afraid!

thats great, never thought about the boat down south

Hello. There are always quite a few dead birds when the breeding season ends (many young birds, and sometimes a few adults), but last year we found a botulism epidemic in the "depuradora". I'm afraid that this year could be happening the same. We have contacted whith COFIB and they will analyse the dead birds. I'm on hollydays now, so I can't give more details.

Thanks Maties. Enjoy your holiday.
Thanks Martin, there are lots of spiders around at the moment so I will try to photograph as many as possible. I have read up about Argiope species but there wasn't too much information, it was mostly from the USA . Mike

Spent the day st S"Albufera today where saw night heron standing out in the open and four stone curlews and two water rails at the hide nearest the power station. Went to Es Cibollar again water rail marsh Harrier osprey then a flock of bee eaters arrived about twelve and kept me entertained. A great white Egret also joined the part.

Went to Sa Rica after with ofptey several ibis and s greater flamingo - a hoopoe also made a passing show as it did ( or another) at Es Cibollar

Lots of small blurbbutterflys today . Any ideas as to what they"re called??

3 Marbled Duck this morning from Ses Pardres Hide, s'Albufera.

Sa Roca Hide had 8 Stone Curlew, 3 Little Stint, 4 Wood sand, 1 Green sand etc.

Tucan Marsh a bit dry but still productive with 2 Little Bittern, juv Purple Heron, 5 Gallinule, Wood, Green and Common Sand, Gadwall, Dabchick, Shoveler, Pochard, etc.

Please let me know if you'd like my occasional sightings (for the next couple of weeks) posted elsewhere.

Lots of small blurbbutterflys today . Any ideas as to what they"re called??

There are several species of Lycaenidae that occur in the Balearics. Probably the two most frequently seen at s'Albufera are the Holly Blue and the Common Blue (although there's some debate about the identity of the latter - if there's one or two species). Others that occur there are the Long-tailed Blue, Lang's Short-tailed Blue and the Southern Brown Argus (and some other dubious records). Would any of these fit the ones you saw?
Martin

Hi Neil, yes, all reports are interesting so do please post what you see. Already you have seen some good birds. I have not received any sightings of Little Bittern at Maristany so I'm very pleased to hear that they are there this year. Thanks and good birding! Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back