• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 8x30 and Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

phlazm

I realize these two binoculars are apples and oranges, but has anyone used both that can offer views on both? I have a 60s version of the Habicht I keep at office for watching submarines sail away, but want an 8x for birding. Haven't played with a new Habicht with better coatings though I'm okay with overall form factor. On the other hand, I can get new Zeiss at 25% off and therefore much less than The Swarovski (and I like my 10x40 Zeiss Classics still).

Anyway, just hoping for some contrasts and comparisons. Obviously no bino is perfect and I'm not looking for complete reviews as I've read a lot online already, but if you've played with both I'd like to hear your opinions.

Cheers.

I have had them both and there is no question which one I would choose. I would definitely go with the Zeiss Conquest HD. The Habicht 8x30 has very severe veiling glare which totally blocks the FOV at certain viewing angles, whereas, the Zeiss Conquest HD is very good at glare control. Also, the Habicht 8x30 has a quite stiff focus wheel compared to the Zeiss which has a much faster smoother and easier focus wheel. The Zeiss is overall IMO a much better birding binocular. I will also go out on a wire here and tell you how to save even more money. I have compared the Tract Toric 8x42 to the Zeiss Conquest HD and found the Tract to have better optics with it being slightly brighter and sharper and it also has a very smooth focus and excellent glare control for less money than the Zeiss. It retails for only about $650.00 in the 8x42.

Last edited:
Thinking 8x32 for size, but not married to it.

If you are interested in other aspects of nature observation and not just birds then Conquest HD 8x32 is brilliant. It has a quite fast focus which enables you to get quickly onto nearby stuff like butterflies and dragonflies (using the great field of view) and then back onto distant birds before they disappear and then back again for something close. My main bins are SFs or HT but for habitats like I described, the Conquests are top dog and of course they are a convenient size for many other purposes too.

Lee

Thinking 8x32 for size, but not married to it.

I just bought the 8X32 Conquest HD. I compared it to a few others last week.. I can't tell much if any difference between it and the Victory FL 8X32 I have. One difference is eye-relief which the Conquest HD has more. For $899, I don't see how you can beat it for an 8X32. The Conquest is in line with the top of the it's class in basically every stat. The only binocular I could suggest in that price range what would be as good or at least close is the Cabela's/Meopta Euro HD 8X32. That's a nice binocular at well and currently a little less expensive.

Currently opticsplanet.com has the Conquest HD 8X32 for $$899.99 plus a 10% off coupon for THAT binocular.

I have a Habicht 8X30 and it NEVER comes out of the case. ER issues for me and a pretty stiff focus adjustment. And SORRY but a roof-prism binocular such as the Conquest HD is SO much easier to get along with.

So I bought the 8x30 Habichts and I love them. The others are all great as well, but this is the one I fell in love with. Veiling is present and the focuser is a little stiffer that on my Zeiss, but once you know its limitations it is a wonderful piece and still very capable. Strangely, just like with the old Zeiss' I have, this is one of those rare times I didn't have buyers remorse.

So I bought the 8x30 Habichts and I love them. The others are all great as well, but this is the one I fell in love with. Veiling is present and the focuser is a little stiffer that on my Zeiss, but once you know its limitations it is a wonderful piece and still very capable. Strangely, just like with the old Zeiss' I have, this is one of those rare times I didn't have buyers remorse.

Congratulations on the Habicht :t:

Enjoy in good health.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to give a shout out to Swarovski service. I bought an old 8x30 Habicht (1960) on fleabay as a spare for the car since I liked the first so much, but they came with a very stiff and rough focusing mechanism. Obviously no warranty so I paid to have them tuned by one of the few gents stateside who offers the service. Cost a bit and, though the gent was nice, I wasn't at all pleased with the result. In desperation I sent them to Swarovski USA with an explanation. They sent the to Austria for a tune up and sent them back at no cost whatsoever. Needless to say they will be on the high list if I'm ever looking for another set of binoculars (ogling a spotting scope now).

Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to give a shout out to Swarovski service. I bought an old 8x30 Habicht (1960) on fleabay as a spare for the car since I liked the first so much, but they came with a very stiff and rough focusing mechanism. Obviously no warranty so I paid to have them tuned by one of the few gents stateside who offers the service. Cost a bit and, though the gent was nice, I wasn't at all pleased with the result. In desperation I sent them to Swarovski USA with an explanation. They sent the to Austria for a tune up and sent them back at no cost whatsoever. Needless to say they will be on the high list if I'm ever looking for another set of binoculars (ogling a spotting scope now).

This will give Gandytron a lot of confidence;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back