• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time birding, Barn Island Connecticut (1 Viewer)

phlazm

Went birding for the first time, assuming you don't count watching from the back porch. Found the local Audobon Society group putting on a free walk and I tagged along for half the day before heading back home to help with the kiddos and give my wife some free time if here own. Good group and good day. I saw the following but definitely give credit to the great crowd for the successful start:

-red-tailed hawk
-song sparrow
-semipalminated sandpiper
-greater yellowlegs
-black-bellied plover
-great egret
-yellow warbler
-downy woodpecker
-yellow-throated vireo
-osprey
-snowy egret
-little blue heron
-least sandpiper
-willet
-canada goose
-glossy ibis
-Baltimore oriole
-tufted titmouse
-veery
-ruby-throated hummingbird
-common loon
-double-created cormorant
-great black-backed gull
-semipalminated plover
-yellow warbler (dozens of these)
-willow flycatcher
-cedar waxwing
-red-winged blackbird
-eastern towhee
-countless catbirds
-northern cardinal
-blue-winged warbler
I missed the marsh wren everyone else saw and I have no doubt they saw many more as they weren't showing any signs of slowing down when I left.

Cheers.

First time birding

Hi even from your porch is a great place to pursue this fantastic hobby. Its nice when you find a group to tag along with, you have done really well spotting by your list.:t:

What a grand day out you had Phlazm.

It seems you managed to see a wide variety of species, didn't you. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back