• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod Help ! (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

Hi Guys,

Thinking about a Monopod as I find my tripod a little too heavy to carry around while photographing things when not in a hide. currently use the Sony A500 and Sigma 150-500mm so a sturdy monopod would be needed but I really don't want to spend too much, any idea's on a suitable one?

Many Thanks

Alex

something like the Manfrotto 681 is very sturdy iv used one a few years now and very happy with it.
Rob.

yes it should be 1/4 or 3/8 fitting and this is from Manfroto - Robust three section Monopod featuring sure rubber grip, wrist carrying strap, quick action lever leg lock system, large 60mm camera/head platform with plastic cover and dual 1/4" - 3/8" camera fixing screw. Same as the Manfrotto 681, but in black.

Rob.

Thanks GYRob. How would I find out whether my head is a 1/4or 3/8 fitting? Just I obviously don't want to spend £40 to find I have to spend another £20 - £30 to buy a compatible head!

Many Thanks

Alex

Quick answer to that one - as Rob said the 681 has both. The thread you see is the 3/8th size, however if you press the outside of the thread it slides down to show the 1/4 inch thread. All you have to do is try and screw on any head and it will automatically fit.

Hi. I am also thinking about getting a monopod to use with a 7d plus canon 500 and 1.4 extender. I was told by someone to make sure it has a metal cover not plastic so that would rule out the 681. I want a monopod for use when my tripod is not ideal, if i am in a crowded place for sport aircraft and also bird pictures. I am also looking to attach the lens to the pod by a quick release clamp only as i am not looking for tilt only swivel movement. Any ideas on the beat monopod for my needs would be great.
Stan

Can you clarify what you mean by a metal cover?
Manfrotto produce a range of quick release clamps, though different people prefer other types.
To be honest when I am panning at high speed I need tilt as well as rotation especially as I have the pod angled back towards me. I don't need tilt for static shots mind you.

Hello. Iveljay Yes the cover is the disc at the top of the monopod with the screw for attaching to a head. Two or three people have advised me to get one with a metal disc not plastic as with the weight of a 7d+grip+ 500 f4+ 1.4 extender could cause the plastic disc to fail. As i have never used a monopod i am trying to research as much as i can before buying.
Down here in dorchester we have no camera shops in which to go and try out anything unless you just want cheap lightweight stuff for your average person.
What head would you look at putting on a monopod for my set up. I have a wimberly mk2 on my tripod with quick release plate, which i hope to leave the qr plate on the lens and attach to a clamp on the monopod but don't want to have the wimberly on a monopod to save weight, as i really only want the monopod to take the weight off my arms.
Stan

You are weighing in at about 6kg I guess, the 681 is rated to 12kg which would tend to give me a bit of confidence, and as others have found to their cost, metal mounting plates can come adrift as well. I tend to go with the engineering rather than the material, however, your setup and way of working is very different to mine so I would wait and see if someone with a similar set-up can come up with some suggestions.

Other forums recommend the Gitzo pods. Series 3 upwards in alu and carbon has not only a metal plate but also a physical lock to hold the head securely, which is possibly of greater importance.

To quote: The new tripod upper disc is called 'Power Disc'. It is made of machined solid aluminum and it now features two locking screws, one to lock the head, the other to safely lock the disc onto the column. The 'Power Disc' gives a rock solid connection of the whole system for additional safety and stability.

Never tried one but they seem to be precisely what you are looking for?

I use the Giottos 3290B for my Canon 7D 500mm f4 and 1.4 extender.

It works great, supports 15kg and is very economical. You can spend a lot more on carbon fiber but you really don't save much weight.

Hi I went for the Manfrotto 681B. It came during the week but i have been ill for the last couple of days so will have to wait till next weekend to try it out. Thanks for your advice
Stan

Exactly the same model as mine - its a fab Monopod. I stuffed a Giottos MH5001 pan head that came with my Giottos Tripod onto the 681B , and then bought a heavy duty Manfrotto 808 RC4 pan head and mounted that on the Giottos Tripod.

Makes a great combo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back