• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saturday 9th October, (1 Viewer)

Nina P

Nina
I am hoping someone will assist here, whilst out in Christchurch Harbour, Mudeford side, I was fortunate to see two different Egrets, one large one and one small one, the little one came close to where all the other birds were feeding, but the large one was spooked very easily and didn't stay long, Both had very yellow feet, used the same dibbling trick to raise the fish, both also had grey beaks, I have no idea what else can defferenciate other than size. The large one was definately twice as large as the other, last week I'd seen the large one by the headland, still in marshes, and thought it may be a cattle egret, but that should have a yellow beak, but this one is grey beaked, any Ideas?

Cattle Egrets are smaller than Little Egrets. Apart from the yellow feet, it sounds like a Great White Egret - no possibility of a mistake on that point, I suppose?

I saw that on another thread but that one had a yellow beak, is it just winter plumage that makes the beak grey? the little egret was tiny, about two mallards in size, and close to humans, touching distance? I'm really intrigued, so seems like Great White Egrets in Christchurch harbour, are the little one little egrets, as I thought Cattle Egrets were nearly as large as the great whites, or have I got the wrong end of the stick? I would dearly love to know, and I do wish I had the camera to use (I really am kicking myself over that) as posting pictures would make it much easier!

The beaks of Great Whites are very variable, and can be yellow, black and yellow or all black (or dark grey). Little Egrets are much smaller than Great Whites.

But all those have BLACK feet! this one displayed beautiful bright YELLOW feet? I have recieved an email from America with suggetion of SNOWY EGRET? Is that possible? I have reiterated the details, now awaiting reply, 'Cos if it is I'd be thrilled to have a rare tic on my doorstep!! SPecially if it still loiters for others to see too!

I'm not quite sure where you were but if you get out on to Stanpit Marsh (about half a mile Christchurch side of Mudeford) you'll soon become familiar with little egrets. If there was an obvious difference between the 2 the nit's unlikely to be little and snowy egrets which are very similar in pretty much all respects. Great white egret is pretty similar size to a grey heron and if it's all white and that sort of size tht's almost certainly what it is. If so I hope it hangs around unitl the next visit to the in laws in Bournemouth.

I have just recieved a picture of this same bird from USA, this is the image of the bird we saw, I hope Trish is in agreement, just waiting to see if she does, but this is the place I was led to, and this is the same kind of bird I saw.
http://birding.about.com/library/fg/blfg-egrettathula.com ,I think I can say we have a rarity in the Harbour, Dawsey try Mudeford car park!
if the link gives you ... instead of - between blfg and egretta you may have to do it manually.
Should have looked ot BF's own gallery, looks the same but nothing to give size certainty, but everything else is spot on!
www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=7744

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back