• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Middle Spotted Woodpecker in Prague (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody,

Today I saw Middle Spotted Woodpecker for the first time in my life and I wasn't even out - well, I was at our apartment's balcony.

Such a cute bird! It showed well momentarily on a dead branch of a tree near the brook that runs under our house.

I always thought I would have to go to search for it to some wood and not see it directly in Prague.

Still excited.

Lida

Sounds great. Never seen a MSW.

Only been to Prague once - lovely city. Nice Black Redstart in the railway station.

I only moved out to Austria earlier this year and the first Middle Spotted Woodpecker I saw was in a town park and a lovely birds they are to

I share in Lida's excitement, as I was on the same balcony at the same time, and it was a first for me, too.

"The Birds of the Czech Republic" says Middle Spotteds become less tied to oaks outside the breeding season and can be found in larger parks, gardens and stands of trees.

I hope it puts in a repeat appearance as it's a cracking bird.

-Adam

Interestingly, I see Middle Spotted Woodpeckers daily at my garden feeder and on feeders I have in my woodland BUT almost never see them elsewhere in this country, despite being out birding almost daily. So it certainly seems they are quite happy in close proximity to humans, - bought some window feeders a week ago and one of the woodpeckers has even started to use that now

PS see the top of the red feeder in the picture left, there was Middle Spotted Woodpecker on that today - Kitty had taken day off from her favourite sleeping post!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back