• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Maui? (1 Viewer)

BirdieGirl

Hi all! I'm headed to Maui for a week in May and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about good places for birding, or good field guides. Any advice would help :)

Thanks!

BirdieGirl said:
Hi all! I'm headed to Maui for a week in May and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about good places for birding, or good field guides. Any advice would help :)

Thanks!

The Hawaii Audubon Society puts out a field guide. For a bird finding guide, I recommend The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai'i by Rick Soehren. Basically, you'll have lots of introduced birds near the resorts, water birds (including endemic coot, moorhen, and stilt) in lowland ponds, and endemic forest birds at high altitudes. I haven't been to Maui, but the premier spot for birders is Hosmer Grove and especially the adjacent Waikamoi Preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy. Those areas are good for 'Apapane, 'I'iwi, 'Amakihi, Maui 'Alauahio and with luck even 'Akohekohe and Maui Parrotbill. You have to make reservations with either Haleakala National Park or the Nature Conservancy for a guided tour to visit the Waikamoi Preserve. Haleakala is also good for Nene and Pueo (Short-eared Owl). Good luck!

emupilot said:
The Hawaii Audubon Society puts out a field guide. For a bird finding guide, I recommend The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai'i by Rick Soehren. Basically, you'll have lots of introduced birds near the resorts, water birds (including endemic coot, moorhen, and stilt) in lowland ponds, and endemic forest birds at high altitudes. I haven't been to Maui, but the premier spot for birders is Hosmer Grove and especially the adjacent Waikamoi Preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy. Those areas are good for 'Apapane, 'I'iwi, 'Amakihi, Maui 'Alauahio and with luck even 'Akohekohe and Maui Parrotbill. You have to make reservations with either Haleakala National Park or the Nature Conservancy for a guided tour to visit the Waikamoi Preserve. Haleakala is also good for Nene and Pueo (Short-eared Owl). Good luck!

Despite the hassle and cost, I would strongly recommend a guided visit to Waikamoi board walk on Maui - at the end of the walkway is a platform from which 'Akohekohe is regularly seen. I saw one here at close range feeding on Ohia blooms. Maui Parrotbill is around but very elusive. I'iwi is generally easy around the parking area at Hosmer Grove (much easier than on Kauai).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back