• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New BTO logo. (1 Viewer)

I agree.. I thought the Gannet with the waves doubling as a line graph was excellent.
And the new tagline "Looking out for birds" kind of dumbs it down further in my opinion.

A brand that keeps changing its logo is not a good brand.

And I wonder how much they spent on devising a new one? No more charity pounds for BTO from me for a year or so!

John

I initially thought the logo was a bird sticking its head out of a hole and, therefore, agreed with most posters. However, having stared at it a little longer i realised that the birds eye doubles as the glint in a human eye and, all of a sudden, the tag line makes sense. I'm now left with the conundrum that either i'm a kn*b for taking so long to 'get it' or that it's far too clever for its own good. 8-P

I initially thought the logo was a bird sticking its head out of a hole and, therefore, agreed with most posters. However, having stared at it a little longer i realised that the birds eye doubles as the glint in a human eye and, all of a sudden, the tag line makes sense. I'm now left with the conundrum that either i'm a kn*b for taking so long to 'get it' or that it's far too clever for its own good. 8-P
No offence intended but I thought the double meaning was blindingly obvious. I thought that one of the things in its favour is that it isn't obscure. For me, it is bold and distinctive but not especially classy. Should go down well with the public in this day and age. ;)

And I wonder how much they spent on devising a new one? No more charity pounds for BTO from me for a year or so!

John

From BG webzine:

"...Council set aside £34,500 in the 2010/11 budget to deliver the new brand in all its guises — on the new website, templates for leaflets, designs for bulletins, display materials etc — and to test the logo. This is very good value for money. (It cost £200,000 to change the Parkinson's Disease Society into Parkinson's UK. Macmillan spent £120,000 on its rebrand in 2005, since when awareness has risen and income has increased from £97.7m to £118m.)..."

So, a bargain then......

No offence taken. Sad to have it confirmed that i'm not as sharp as i thought i was. :-C

No offence intended but I thought the double meaning was blindingly obvious. I thought that one of the things in its favour is that it isn't obscure. For me, it is bold and distinctive but not especially classy. Should go down well with the public in this day and age. ;)

John

Hi John, if you follow the links from the BTO front page announcements you can hear Andy Clements explain the rationale for the change, http://www.bto.org/ with an indication of costs weighed against forecast cost benefits- which is quite a refreshingly honest approach to take. He does note that however persuasive the argument there'll still be people who won't give because of it.

Me, I'm gonna do what the footy supporters do, and wear them nostalgic replica kits from now on.

DunnoKev
----------
Media studies for dummies: 'logo that needs tag line attached doesn't work as logo'.

Not a fan of it, personally, but the old one was possibly a bit old fashioned and did maybe need an update. Shame they had to completely overhaul it, rather than just updating it, though.

Saying that it's only a logo, and the amount of teeth-gnashing I've seen elsewhere surrounding it is a bit disproportional.

The best BTO logo?

Not a fan of it, personally, but the old one was possibly a bit old fashioned and did maybe need an update. Shame they had to completely overhaul it, rather than just updating it, though.

Saying that it's only a logo, and the amount of teeth-gnashing I've seen elsewhere surrounding it is a bit disproportional.

I still have a couple of BTO green sweatshirts from the 1990s (I actually got the last one in stock), but the excellent sewn circular logo in white thread was classy (the Gannet particularly so). Unfortunately, holes have appeared in the sleeves (unrepairable), but I'm going to salvage the logo badges and eventually use them on new sweatshirts. My sewing will have to improve from my RAF days...
MJB

From BG webzine:

"...Council set aside £34,500 in the 2010/11 budget to deliver the new brand in all its guises — on the new website, templates for leaflets, designs for bulletins, display materials etc — and to test the logo. This is very good value for money. (It cost £200,000 to change the Parkinson's Disease Society into Parkinson's UK. Macmillan spent £120,000 on its rebrand in 2005, since when awareness has risen and income has increased from £97.7m to £118m.)..."

So, a bargain then......

The full birdguides article is worth a read, and also gives an return on investment justification of sorts... http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2445 Some of the comments there are rather vituperative.

Also, I failed to see the 'eye' until it was pointed out above.

Graham

Don't like it either, but I didn't care much for the last one. Won't stop the quality of what they do, or any support I can give them though...

I'd have kept the blue in the logo instead of the off green - might have made it more recognisable as an eye maybe? (I also failed to see the eye until pointed out!)
However I'm not violently opposed, and I think the explanation from the boss of the BTO was informative and logical.

Looks like something from a kids TV show. Rubbish! Whoever approved that wants sacking.

You ought to have seen some of the other options and colours for them at focus group I attended!
This one's probably the best of the bunch. But I preferred the original.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back