• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today's Birding in Saint Joseph, Missouri (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

The birding began rather slowly today in our yard this morning here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. As I walked outside our house there were some Common Grackles flying by. In the backyard a Red-bellied Woodpecker was working diligently at the peanut feeder, getting his breakfast. Very high overhead quite a few Chimney Swifts had quit their roost in the church's chimney down the street and were feeding.

Hopping in my vehicle, I decided to go down to nearby Lake Contrary to see if yesterday's Sanderling might still be there. The Sanderling was a "no show" but I did see the following (birds underlined were some we banded this afternoon on the campus of our local college):

Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
European Starling
American Coot
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Double-crested Cormorant
Killdeer
Canada Goose
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Gadwall
Northern Shoveler
Ring-necked Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Turkey Vulture
American Crow
Eastern Bluebird
House Wren
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
Horned Lark
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Northern Cardinal
Western Meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Great-tailed Grackle
Savannah Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Field Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Song Sparrow
House Sparrow

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back