• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late Swallows at Symond's Yat (1 Viewer)

DAS

Enjoyed a couple of hours at Symond's Yat watching a peregrine, perched and flying. A buzzard alighted on the shingle beside the river bank below us and proceeded to bathe in the river vigorously for around 10 minutes. First time I had seen this happen. Around 2.30pm a couple of swallows flew southwards across the river valley. I don't remember seeing them around as late in the year as this though I have never kept any record in the past. Is 18 Oct considered late ? Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

I've seen one locally as late as the 22nd. There was also a record of a freshly dead bird found close to me on (I think) Christmas Day several years ago. Saw 3 last Thursday whilst I was watching a Golden Oriole!

Andy.

Late Swallows

Thanks Andy. So the birds I saw were stragglers and there could be others to come. Lucky man seeing a golden oriole - on my wish list. I take it you were down south and saw a migrating bird. I have not heard of them around west Gloucs. Thanks Dave

I've not had any for the last couple of weeks - but late ones do turn up - I think there was one in Kent between Christmas and new year last year.

DAS said:
Thanks Andy. So the birds I saw were stragglers and there could be others to come. Lucky man seeing a golden oriole - on my wish list. I take it you were down south and saw a migrating bird. I have not heard of them around west Gloucs. Thanks Dave

Correction - I just checked my records - 22nd of November!

The Golden O was great - views down to 5 metres and only a mile from home! It hung around for a few days too, allowing lots of Gwent/Glam. birders to catch up with a (usually) difficult species.

Andy.

Thanks all for the information on late swallows. It now looks that the two I witnessed were by no means anywhere near being regarded as really late in leaving. I'll keep my eyes open for more in the weeks to come. Andy do you have many sightings of golden o's throughout a season in your area ? I've always regarded them as occurring in the southeast and east of England and very occasional in the west. Dave

I thought I saw a swallow last Sunday but couldn't quite believe it.

Have never seen a G Oriole here but had a great view of one whilst driving in France year before last. My wife and I just looked at each other and said, "Golden Oriole!", even though we'd never seen one before.

Rob

Andrew Rowlands said:
The Golden O was great - views down to 5 metres and only a mile from home! It hung around for a few days too, allowing lots of Gwent/Glam. birders to catch up with a (usually) difficult species.

Hi Andy,

Got Golden Orioles breeding both at the end of my garden and in the woodland I've just bought :) It's a tuff life sitting drinking your morning coffee with Golden Os flitting about ...there are some advantages to being an EX-Gwent birder ;)

DAS said:
Andy do you have many sightings of golden o's throughout a season in your area ? I've always regarded them as occurring in the southeast and east of England and very occasional in the west. Dave

There are claims most years of them, how many refer to poor views of Green Woodpecker I don't know. We have had good birds occasionally but not staying long enough to twitch, usually Spring/Summer overshoots. We do seem to have some attractive habitat for them; if a couple of birds were to 'bump' into each other.....who knows?

Andy.

Jos Stratford said:
Got Golden Orioles breeding both at the end of my garden and in the woodland I've just bought :) It's a tuff life sitting drinking your morning coffee with Golden Os flitting about ...there are some advantages to being an EX-Gwent birder ;)

GIT! ;)

Jos Stratford said:
Hi Andy,

Nobody likes a show off!

David FG said:
Nobody likes a show off!

I hope that's with a touch of sarcasm - message was a light-hearted dig at a birder back on my homepatch, where Golden Orioles have had an almost mythical existance in the Wye Valley for as long as I can remember - reported every year, but never by birders and never with 100% certainty.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back