• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Unfeathered Bird, by Katrina van Grouw (1 Viewer)

jedigrant

This has to be the most unlikely bird book that I’ve ever seen. An art book of bird skeletons? Never thought that I'd see something like that. And especially one that delves into bird anatomy and physiology. But the biggest surprise about this book is how much I enjoyed it.

The art shows some birds without feathers so that the skin is visible, and others without both feathers and skin so that you can see the muscles. But most often her drawings are of just the bird’s skeleton. And yet these drawings are oddly beautiful. They are also quite compelling as the birds are illustrated engaging in natural behavior: loons swimming as if underwater; Eurasian Sparrowhawks with prey; a frigatebird pursuing a tropicbird.

But I think I've enjoyed the text even more than the art. It deals with bird anatomy, but mainly in conjunction with their outward appearance and lifestyle. In virtually every chapter I learned something new and cool. It also helps that the writing is interesting, understandable, often amusing, and even lyrical at times.

This is just a fascinating book. Obviously, anyone interested in unique art and bird anatomy should love it, but it has much broader appeal than that. I think it would be interesting and relevant to any birder.

Full review of The Unfeathered Bird

Katrina van Grouw is a member of the forum, she signs on as Unfeathered Bird.

Being mostly interested in avian systematics, taxonomy, identification and distribution, my usual diet of birding literature comprises handbooks, family guides, photographic guides, field guides, regional avifauna, reports, checklists etc – highly-formulaic workaday stuff, with rarely any surprises.

But given the enthusiastic reviews of The Unfeathered Bird, I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and purchase a copy. I'm very glad I did – it's an absolute delight!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back