• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why don't the major sporting goods stores stock any high-end Zeiss binoculars? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Why don't the major sporting goods stores like Cabella's or Sportsman's Warehouse stock any of the high-end Zeiss binoculars in store? These are the only two places that are close to me where I can go and check out the latest and greatest in binoculars but they do not have any of the high-end Zeiss products like the new HT or even the older FL in the store. They have all of the Swarovski models. In fact at Cabella's there is a whole corner display dedicated to Swarovski binoculars. Cabella's has a few Zeiss Terra's and some Conquest's but that is about it. Sportsman's Warehouse has hardly any Zeiss at all. The logical answer would be they don't sell that many Zeiss binoculars compared to Swarovski. It is irritating because I would like to go try an HT or SF without having to order one sight unseen to see if I even like it. Where in Greeley,CO area could you try an HT or SF?

Last edited:
Dennis,

Keeping and maintaining an inventory of them is their big problem. You have forgotten that Zeiss is in the middle of making a new line of binoculars. They are in the process of making a bunch of new binoculars for these inventories and more will be found in these stores in the future. Swarovski has had their new binoculars out for a while now. Nikon makes its money off their middle and lower class binoculars so you don't see many of their EDGs either.

You will find a 1/2 decent selection of Alphas in Cape May but not all sizes and not a lot of inventory. Go to the big mail order stores in Manhattan and you will find a bigger choice over all.

Bob

Why don't the major sporting goods stores like Cabella's or Sportsman's Warehouse stock any of the high-end Zeiss binoculars in store? These are the only two places that are close to me where I can go and check out the latest and greatest in binoculars but they do not have any of the high-end Zeiss products like the new HT or even the older FL in the store. They have all of the Swarovski models. In fact at Cabella's there is a whole corner display dedicated to Swarovski binoculars. Cabella's has a few Zeiss Terra's and some Conquest's but that is about it. Sportsman's Warehouse has hardly any Zeiss at all. The logical answer would be they don't sell that many Zeiss binoculars compared to Swarovski. It is irritating because I would like to go try an HT or SF without having to order one sight unseen to see if I even like it. Where in Greeley,CO area could you try an HT or SF?

I sold a Line of Zeiss, and Leica, and Swarovski, and Nikon, and Kowa, and Canon, and Fujinon, and plenty of others. When that junk just sits on a shelf in the back room, you can destroy your investment in a hurry.

We tend to see things from only one angle. Believe me, there's more than one!

Bill

Dennis,

Keeping and maintaining an inventory of them is their big problem. You have forgotten that Zeiss is in the middle of making a new line of binoculars. They are in the process of making a bunch of new binoculars for these inventories and more will be found in these stores in the future. Swarovski has had their new binoculars out for a while now. Nikon makes its money off their middle and lower class binoculars so you don't see many of their EDGs either.

You will find a 1/2 decent selection of Alphas in Cape May but not all sizes and not a lot of inventory. Go to the big mail order stores in Manhattan and you will find a bigger choice over all.

Bob
Cabella's has never even had the Zeiss HT's or even the FL's ever nor Sportsman Warehouse.

I sold a Line of Zeiss, and Leica, and Swarovski, and Nikon, and Kowa, and Canon, and Fujinon, and plenty of others. When that junk just sits on a shelf in the back room, you can destroy your investment in a hurry.

We tend to see things from only one angle. Believe me, there's more than one!

Bill
You get right to the point and you are right. They don't sell many Zeiss so they don't stock them.

Bullshit, the pumping is starting.

Nah, Dennis is goofy but he knows what he's got. The 42mm SF will NOT trump the 32mm SV, optically. Size and weight decides that one. The SV wins. 32mm SF? Well, we will see about that when the time comes.

8.5 SV v. 8 SF is all that matters right now. And it looks like a draw.

Mark

Nah, Dennis is goofy but he knows what he's got. The 42mm SF will NOT trump the 32mm SV, optically. Size and weight decides that one. The SV wins. 32mm SF? Well, we will see about that when the time comes.

Mark

I think it's less what he has and more a desire for others to think he has the latest greatest.

If it was about what he has, he would never be entertaining the notion of an SF. Just because something new comes out doesnt mean the one you have owned and been perfectly happy with performs less than it did. It's not about using it as a tool, it's about the status it affords him. (IMO)

Mark
That is what I think. I think all this best birding binocular in the world stuff from Zeiss is marketing baloney. I would like to go in a store and try an HT or an SF though just to see if I like them.

I think it's less what he has and more a desire for others to think he has the latest greatest.

If it was about what he has, he would never be entertaining the notion of an SF. Just because something new comes out doesnt mean the one you have owned and been perfectly happy with performs less than it did. It's not about using it as a tool, it's about the status it affords him. (IMO)
No. I like the SV a lot but I am always interested in a new binocular that claims to be the best birding binocular around as Zeiss says. I would like to look at one. Why don't the stores carry them. Nobody has answered that yet. Perhaps somebody in retail sales out there.

No. I like the SV a lot but I am always interested in a new binocular that claims to be the best birding binocular around as Zeiss says. I would like to look at one. Why don't the stores carry them. Nobody has answered that yet. Perhaps somebody in retail sales out there.

Jan can probably give you an answer for Europe.

Here in the states on tools and equipment, in the places I have been involved in, it was determined by vendor spifs (sales performance incentive funds), manufacturer rebates (hits the books as 100% profit), manufacturer subsidy of advertising dollars (gets people in the door) and straight up sales profits. But nobody wants sales that arent profitable.

Swaro has dumped a load in to advertising, and advertising the sellers as well as the product. The sale of high end binos is chicken feed compared to their main line, as it is with Zeiss, Leica and Nikon.

I have not read the original post, but here is what I have found when wanting to find the
top Zeiss models, in the sporting goods stores in my area. The only Zeiss models that are
stocked are the Conquest HD and Terra, at Cabela's, and at 3 Scheels stores that I get
to several times a year. They are good sellers, but the only premium optics found are the
Swarovski EL and SLC HD. The Leica Trinovid, is stocked and discounted as well as the
Geovid, but not the Ultravid.

Last summer, I did find a Zeiss HT at a smaller but great sporting goods store, 2 years after
its introduction.

The clear leader in sales on the high end are the Swarovski's.

Zeiss has a lot of work to do, to just get some of these stores to stock them. The next thing is to help train the sales force in the retail stores to know the difference. Many of these guys don't use binoculars often or don't have experience or the budget for the higher end.

If I were in charge of the Zeiss sales side, I would have an active sales force with a demo program for the optics dept. in these larger stores. I would provide 1 or 2 samples of the HT and the new SF binoculars, and let the staff get out and spend some time with these binoculars.
I have a feeling if these guys had some time with these premium optics, they would come back and tell their customers, these things are really good !

I have spent over 30 years in sales, and over 20 years in commissioned sales, now an experienced observer, with lots of opinion. ;)

Some optics companies pay bonuses to retail sales reps for sales, and I have found at Cabelas, Vortex is featured
on a top shelf. Cabelas also has to sell their own brand.

Go to a grocery store, the brands have to pay for shelf placement. It is the same with optics, that is why Swarovski has many product buyers visit Austria each year. I suppose and expect Zeiss invites those same buyers to Germany.

I got a little long here, just food for thought.

Jerry

Dennis,

I think you should be asking why are binocular choices so poorly represented in the Denver metro area.

It's not just Zeiss.. try to find:
an alpha 7x... any flavor
Nikon EII or SE... (of course when they were available)
Nikon Premier...
Kowa anything...
Alpine Rainer, any size...
Celestron...
a current McKinley BX-4...
Vortex Vanquish...
the list goes on, and I've been looking for years.

I've yet to find a Conquest HD 8x32 brick & mortar retail... and that's not a big ticket item compared to some.

If we had combined our collections at various times over the past years... we would have had on hand a selection of glass this region has never offered!!!

P.S. I did see Zeiss HT (in 10x of course) when Cabela's first opened, but have not seen them since.

I did find Zeiss FL, Swaro SV, and Leica Ultravid HD side x side at the birding store in Littleton (that was pre HT & SF, I have not been on that side of town for some time so I couldn't say what they have these days).

CG

Eagle Optics doesn't have any SFs in stock. It does have the 8 and 10 x 42 HTs and based on 19 5 star reviews they seem to be selling well.

Camera Land has the 8x42SF and is accepting orders for the 10x42SF for delivery in September! It is also now listing the new 8x32 and 10x32 Terras. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeiss_523205 -----while showing that notorious, incorrect FOV!

Cabela's website states that it has a limited amount of 8x42 SFs in stock but it does not list the 10x42SF so it should be no surprise that they have none in the stores! The website lists the 8 and 10x42 HTs and the Conquests.

It seems like there aren't many SFs anywhere.

Bob

Last edited:
Eagle Optics doesn't have any SFs in stock. It does have the 8 and 10 x 42 HTs and based on 19 5 star reviews they seem to be selling well.

Camera Land has the 8x42SF and is accepting orders for the 10x42SF for delivery in September! It is also now listing the new 8x32 and 10x32 Terras. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeiss_523205 -----while showing that notorious, incorrect FOV!

Cabela's website states that it has a limited amount of 8x42 SFs in stock but it does not list the 10x42SF so it should be no surprise that they have none in the stores! The website lists the 8 and 10x42 HTs and the Conquests.

It seems like there aren't many SFs anywhere.

Bob
SEPTEMBER! By the time they get the SF's out on the street Swarovski will have a new binocular out. If Eagle Optics don't have the SF's Zeiss is not shipping many. EO is a big Zeiss dealer.

Here in Norway, all the big optics retailers stock high-end Zeiss bins.

The stores carry what the market can bear.
The middle class is much diminished over the past 20 years, and also their spare time.
The upper middle class is following now, quickly.
I don't know the answer, but the world (USA esp) is approaching $20 and $4000 binoculars, that sort of thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back