• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone 5S & Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

andyF

Anybody used the Kowa iPhone attachment to add an iPhone 5S to a Kowa 883 for digiscoping? What kind of results can I expect?

Andy,

If nobody answers you here then let me know. I started a group for phonescoping on Facebook back in 2014 and there are several folks that phonescope with the Kowa and Iphones. I can't specifically say the 5S version but I know they use Iphones.

I used the 5S for about a year and a half with my Opticron scopes and I was very satisfied with many of the images that I was able to take with it.

Thanks for getting back. I think for the price I'll just go ahead and give it a go. Just waiting for the scope to arrive...

I used the Kowa adapter with an iPhone 4S with decent results. The main benefit I found was the ease and speed of use. It's much lighter to carry around and the workmanship from Kowa on the adapter is excellent, and of course it fits very well on the 'scope.

I've since changed my phone to a Nexus 5X and I bought the Kowa adapter for the Samsung S5, which I then "modded", i.e., hacked parts of it off, to fit the 5X. It works really well, again I don't have to carry another device and I can easily slip it onto the 'scope when needed. I've also used it with my Zeiss bins for some decent record shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back