• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field sketches (1 Viewer)

oivind egeland

It's been a while since I visited these pages, and a while since I had time for any art work. I'm posting this new thread as an attempt to force myself back into the field! I visited an island south of Oslo this weekend, and was able to sit down with Eiders and a singing Lesser Whitethroat. The next few weeks will probably give me more time for sketching.

Attachments

• hvasser_0001 copy.jpg
    hvasser_0001 copy.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 172
  • hvasser_0002 copy.jpg
    hvasser_0002 copy.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 168
Fantastic work, what I'd call 'sophisticated simplicity".

I hope you do get more time in the field because it's always a pleasure to see work of this standard.

Mike

Last edited:
Fantastic work, what I'd call 'sophisticated simplicity".

I hope you do get more time in the field because it's always a pleasure to see work of this standard.

Mike

Sophisticated simplicity says it well, particularly in that eider. As I said in Ed's thread I see a simliarity in these and Ed's recent grebe. Sophisticated and spontaneous simplicity.

I don't see enough lesser whitethroats - and see even less of them in such wonderful sketches, one of my absolute favourite birds, subtle and shapely.

I don't see enough lesser whitethroats - and see even less of them in such wonderful sketches, one of my absolute favourite birds, subtle and shapely.

Looking forward to future posts already, what a great start, Lesser Throat is fantastic. The countryside here is chocker with these right now here...

Two great examples of fieldwork here, Oivind! I love the perfrect pose of the Lesser'throat and the volume of the eider just looks like something out of Lars' sketchbook. Love it!

Russ

Thank you all for encouraging comments! I've been able to do a bit of field work lately, and I'm posting some examples here. The Red-crested Pochard has been flying around between lakes and the ocean at Jæren (just south of Stavanger), and was my first in Norway. I was able to draw it from the terrace at my friends house - he has bought a house smack in the middle of probably the most bird-rich place in the entire country (He put up a few nets in the garden last autumn, and caught two Paddyfield Warblers, one Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler and one Blyth's Reed Warbler. Among other things....)
All of the sketches are from the same area, and all the work was done outside.

Attachments

• gbb.jpg
    gbb.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 121
  • greyplover.jpg
    greyplover.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 116
  • redcrested.jpg
    redcrested.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 125
  • whitewagtail.jpg
    whitewagtail.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 137
A few more from the past weeks. The Eiders are part of a larger sketch, it was drawn in the field, but I added colours later. The Great Black-backed gull is a field sketch, from Revtangen in the south-west - probably the most legendary birding spot in the country.

Attachments

• hvasser mai2_0003 copy.jpg
    hvasser mai2_0003 copy.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 135
  • hvasser mai_0003 copy.jpg
    hvasser mai_0003 copy.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 135
Excellent Fieldwork!..I am a little envious ,because I havent been able to go out for a while,but very happy to see that You are managing to be working in the field,and with such excellent results..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back