• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini-Vacations 2017 (1 Viewer)

So the drive up was pretty uneventful apart from the A465 being closed:C Would have been nice if they could have used those electronic signs for something useful for once!

Stopped off at Tesco Extra to stock up on supplies which was handy as it's only 2 minutes off our route North.

Next stop was Rothiemurchas for cheese, Mustards for bacon etc. and then to Craig's Bar for lunch. Happened to be my baby sisters 30th as well so she was well happy with her pie and chips. Also picked up additional pies at the Highland Bakery.

Then it was on to the cottage. I'll post a link later but suffice to say it's a great base. Easily accommodating 6 adults and 2 children.

Last edited:
Mmmm that's my brother's stretch of the A465, bit of a pain, isn't it. Did you wave to him as you went by Rich?;)

Up early on Sunday and headed down to Abernethy. Goldeneye on Loch Garten along with heaps of Greylags. A few Roe Deer in the forest as well. Completing the circular walk it was good to see a family of Cresties and a Red Squirrel along with a couple of GSW's. The Squirrel and Cresties were a first for Lu.

Then walked up to the Osprey centre and watched a Red Squirrel on the feeders there along with a Treecreeper on a nearby tree. The weather had started off gorgeous but the rain then came in so we headed back to the cottage. Our usual little detour out of the back of Nethy gave Red Grouse, Ravens and Common Buzzards.

At lunch-time it cleared again so we headed up Lochindorb. The surface was really choppy so couldn't pick out anything of interest. Red Grouse and Red-Legged Partridge were at the side of the Loch. As it was still clear we headed over to Cairngorm.

Swipe me it was windy on Cairngorm! Had a decent piece of Carrot Cake and a coffee then totally fluked a Ptarmigan at the back of the ski centre. A year tick on my third time of trying for this species this year.

Coming back to the cottage there was a Red Squirrel in the garden and a Siskin and Crested Tit on next doors feeders.

Rich

Mmmm that's my brother's stretch of the A465, bit of a pain, isn't it. Did you wave to him as you went by Rich?;)

Sailed past Resolven D with no issues. It was closed at the hill down to Abergavenny necessitating a detour around the Pontypool area. Very annoying at the start of a long drive.

Rich

Yeah... as I said, my brother's stretch. The works are between Brnmawr and Govilon/Gilwern roundabout. They shut the road some weekends.

You could've done Brynmawr-Blaenavon-Govilon, then back onto the A465 either there or at Abergavenny.

Would've saved you miles that. The Pontypool diversion would be needed for heavy lorries.

Yesterday we headed over to Fort William to pick up the Jacobite Train. The boys really enjoyed and I must admit so did I. Chris (brother-in-law) had ordered cheese for ourselves and Champagne and chocolates for Lu and Sars. Unfortunately we recently found out that Lu can't have alcohol so Sars helped her out:-OB :) Lu's also not happy she can't have any of the unpasteurised cheese or cured meats.

Had a nice view of a Brown Hare on the trip over and a few Common Buzzards. On arrival at Mallaig the boat trip we'd booked had been cancelled. Not surprising really as the winds were so strong. Ended up having delicious Haddock and chips in a local restaurant and then scanning the sea from the harbour wall. Had decent views of a Grey Seal in the harbour itself and out to sea picked out Eider, a Bonxie, Shag, Kittiwakes and Gannets. There was stuff further out but beyond my ID skills without the scope. Looked like Skuas but couldn't be sure. Also scanned millions of BWJ's but couldn't pick out anything different.

We then caught a service train back to Fort William. I can totally recommend the Oysters, Halibut and Cranachan at The Crannog in Fort William. Os enjoyed his mussels and then seared salmon. In fact, everyone enjoyed:t::eat:

The drive back to Nethy was at a much slower pace. I'm always weary of Deer on these roads. A bonus on the drive home though was a Barn Owl. Flying like a big white butterfly in the headlights. This was on the A road that runs alongside Loch Laggan. There was also a Roe Deer in the back garden of the cottage.

Rich

Last edited:
Yeah... as I said, my brother's stretch. The works are between Brnmawr and Govilon/Gilwern roundabout. They shut the road some weekends.

You could've done Brynmawr-Blaenavon-Govilon, then back onto the A465 either there or at Abergavenny.

Would've saved you miles that. The Pontypool diversion would be needed for heavy lorries.

Cheers D. Might come back via North Wales cutting out the A465/ M5/ Birmingham etc. altogether.

A bird I did see on Saturday was a very pale Bird of Prey just South of Grantown by the fish farm. Have the Ospreys departed or was it more likely to be a pale Common Buzzard? Couldn't slam the anchors on as I'd normally do as Chris and another car were behind me.

Rich

This morning myself, my 6 year old and my father went for a walk in the forest. Good to hear and see several skeins of geese going over. Not sure if Greylags or Pinkfoots though.

Rich

Sounds like your enjoying your trip Rich.
As always:t: My 100% record at Findhorn remains intact. Though we did only spend an hour or so there:eek!:

Had 3 Kestrel and well into double figures of Common Buzzard. A few Red Deer were on top of the hills. I didn't see it but Lu, Chris and my parents saw a Black Grouse at the side of the road.

On the Farr Road there were heaps of Red Grouse and a Red-Legged Partridge with a death wish. Os spotted 3 Red Kite as well.

Rich

Yesterday we headed over to Fort William to pick up the Jacobite Train.

Just back from two weeks in Scotland (Fishnish on Mull, & Strontian). We couldn't get a ticket for the Jacobite so we drove to Mallaig from the cottage and just LOOKED at the train, and took photos. Had meal in the Fisherman's Mission where we usually eat. That was good fish too!

You sound to have made the most of your time there too.

Sandra

Yesterday we headed over to Fort William to pick up the Jacobite Train.

Just back from two weeks in Scotland (Fishnish on Mull, & Strontian). We couldn't get a ticket for the Jacobite so we drove to Mallaig from the cottage and just LOOKED at the train, and took photos. Had meal in the Fisherman's Mission where we usually eat. That was good fish too!

You sound to have made the most of your time there too.

Sandra

Hi Sandra. It's very popular. The return journey was full hence we had to catch the service train. A week just isn't long enough. Trying to pack so much in is tiring:-O

Rich

Saw a big male tabby cat in the forest behind the house this morning. Great markings on it. If that had run across the road in the dark it would have made me think long and hard.

Rich

Lovely day yesterday with the children. Decent food at The Applecross Inn and a refreshing walk to the masts at the top of The Pass of the Cattle. No Ptarmigan but a few Wheatear still about.

What I came across yesterday was some really poor driving - the coach driver who happily sailed past signs asking to allow faster traffic past - I unfortunately reacted to his provocations ;); the driver coming out of Lochcarron doing 25 mph in the 60 zone again driving past the please allow faster traffic to pass; and the Discovery Sport Driver who was unable to reverse c10 yards on the Pass of the Cattle forcing Chris and myself to reverse much further back up the hill. They stood out as I generally find the standard of driving much higher around here than where I live. Much more considerate drivers.

Anyhow. Got some smoked salmon from the smokehouse in Shieldaig so it wasn't all bad:-O And had some lovely cheese from Rothiemurchas last night:t: Also saw plenty of Red Deer, a Common Seal and Mergansers, Curlews, Eider, Common Buzzards etc.

Rich

Notably missing from our trip list was a kestrel!!

And the pine martens at the second chalet didn't put in an appearance this year, unlike last.

A week just isn't long enough. Trying to pack so much in is tiring
Yes indeed: after visiting the Highlands and/or Islands about twenty times, I would always say to people trying to plan a visit: set aside as much time as you possibly can, and, even then, don't try to include too much. There's always the next time (well, maybe not if you live in NZ ;) ) to get that Crested Tit or Red-necked Phalarope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back