• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auks at South Stack, Anglesey (1 Viewer)

Eranou

Wales
When I visited South Stack last weekend, around 1500+ Guillemots and Razorbill had arrived and then I visited again today - not a single Auk in sight!

After chatting to the RSPB staff on site one of them also commented on the fact that prior to breeding they disappear all day long, year upon year.
My query is, why do they disappear at dawn until dusk? I assume it must be something to do with feeding habits. One of the staff also mentioned that they may travel large distances, often up to 40-50 miles in a day before returning to roost.
Given their body shape and wing size youd think that they would prefer to expend as little energy as possible and stay closer to 'home' so to speak.

Once breeding commences they obviously stay in the locality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

Eranou said:
When I visited South Stack last weekend, around 1500+ Guillemots and Razorbill had arrived and then I visited again today - not a single Auk in sight!

After chatting to the RSPB staff on site one of them also commented on the fact that prior to breeding they disappear all day long, year upon year.
My query is, why do they disappear at dawn until dusk? I assume it must be something to do with feeding habits. One of the staff also mentioned that they may travel large distances, often up to 40-50 miles in a day before returning to roost.
Given their body shape and wing size youd think that they would prefer to expend as little energy as possible and stay closer to 'home' so to speak.

Once breeding commences they obviously stay in the locality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

Richard
Please keep up informed!!! I am up there for a week at the end of May volunteering at South Stack, so I have a vested interest in a good season!! I'm sure they will return in good time!!
Paul

Hi Richard, the same thing happens here. From what ive been told it seems to be that thay havent started breeding yet and are happy to move enmass to feed often long distances. Thay then return. One thing i allways wonder is do thay return to the same ledges each year or is it a fight for the space on any likely looking spot?

Just a theory by no means fact but could it be their food supplies are still a long way offshore? The urge to get to the breeding sites
to claim a territory out running the food. The food supply may move closer to shore as the waters warm up.

dafi said:
Hi Richard, the same thing happens here. From what ive been told it seems to be that thay havent started breeding yet and are happy to move enmass to feed often long distances. Thay then return. One thing i allways wonder is do thay return to the same ledges each year or is it a fight for the space on any likely looking spot?

If they're like Gannets, i think they return to same spot every year. Amazing!

paulwfromtheden said:
Richard
Please keep up informed!!! I am up there for a week at the end of May volunteering at South Stack, so I have a vested interest in a good season!! I'm sure they will return in good time!!
Paul

Hi Paul
I'm going to head up there again next weekend or possibly one evening this week to take another look. I'll be sure to post again soon.

dafi
I suppose it would be difficult without some sort of ringing id to tell if they return to the same spot, but as ghostrider mentioned about gannets, entirely possible. Truly amazing if they did.

ghostrider
I wondered about the food supplier being further offshore, and also that they may be stocking up on reserves as they are due to start breeding in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the quick replies.

paulwfromtheden said:
Richard
Paul

Are you going to be volunteering for the whole week? Should be good birding there. I watched a Peregrine there today for around half an hour before it decided to swoop down on a Raven!

Eranou said:
Are you going to be volunteering for the whole week? Should be good birding there. I watched a Peregrine there today for around half an hour before it decided to swoop down on a Raven!

Yes, and the mrs. Looking forward to it. I spent a week surveying the breeding seabirds on Ramsay Island a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping to have just as a good a time...

paulwfromtheden said:
Yes, and the mrs. Looking forward to it. I spent a week surveying the breeding seabirds on Ramsay Island a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping to have just as a good a time...

I'll look forward to popping over there and having a chat..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back