• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snake stalking Cardinal nest in Florida (1 Viewer)

Judybird

BIrds, bugs and butterflies
Pardon me if this should have been posted with reptiles...

One of my neighbors has a mother Cardinal sitting on some new eggs right outside of their pool cage. They have, understandably, become very attached and protective of this nest.

One of our local serpents, a 4 ft Black Racer, has been hanging around the nest all day.

My neighbor is anxious to eliminate the snake...short of ending the snake's life, is there a way to deter the snake from handing around? The racers are very hard to catch, as the name implies.

Any help is appreciated...

Last edited:
Judybird,
We can relate to your neighbor's predicament - we lost all 4 baby Cardinals in our Fla yard several years ago to what else - a Black Racer. It is part of nature and it will likely get the birds unless someone actually catches it and relocates it.

Here's a little general info on the Black Racer

Thanks...

Dave B Smith said:
Judybird,
We can relate to your neighbor's predicament - we lost all 4 baby Cardinals in our Fla yard several years ago to what else - a Black Racer. It is part of nature and it will likely get the birds unless someone actually catches it and relocates it.

Here's a little general info on the Black Racer

Thank you both...I will get an update this weekend. My neighbor is better at killing than catching...I'm still working to convince him to try the later. I offered for him he to relocate to the field behind our house. Unfortunately, there are an abundance of snakes surfacing this year. I guess it's the dry weather we are having.

Last year we had a pair of cardinals nest outside our dining room window and noted a black snake climbing the tree. He was within inches of the nest by the time we got outside. My husband took a long pole and got the snake to curl around it and relocated him a distance from the house. We then got a snake guard around the bottom of the tree. Snake guards can be made from large plastic tubes (larger than about 8 inches in diameter) or raccoon guards that are used for bluebird houses. We have a long piece of plastic that is about 36 inches long and can make a tube out of this and put it around most trees of a small diameter. The smooth plastic is not easy for the snake to climb. It's about 2 feet in width (i.e. height when erected around a tree). It's worked most times.

Linda

thank you

LindaD said:
Last year we had a pair of cardinals nest outside our dining room window and noted a black snake climbing the tree. He was within inches of the nest by the time we got outside. My husband took a long pole and got the snake to curl around it and relocated him a distance from the house. We then got a snake guard around the bottom of the tree. Snake guards can be made from large plastic tubes (larger than about 8 inches in diameter) or raccoon guards that are used for bluebird houses. We have a long piece of plastic that is about 36 inches long and can make a tube out of this and put it around most trees of a small diameter. The smooth plastic is not easy for the snake to climb. It's about 2 feet in width (i.e. height when erected around a tree). It's worked most times.

Linda

Linda,

I am forwarding your comments to my neighbor. We fear the first brood is gone but the cardinals are still hanging around. Perhaps this will help the next babies.

Judy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back