• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Successful breeding season for Hen Harriers on Leadhills (1 Viewer)

^monet^

I read recently that 9 Hen Harrier nests had fledged at least 30 young this year on Leadhills Estate, Lanarkshire.

I take it you read it on the notorious Andy Richardson's Facebook page? I'd tread with extreme caution. The story goes that Scottish Natural Heritage were aware of them nesting and kept the locations secret. Richardson has a grudge against SNH, so he's gone public about it out of spite. It could be true, and great news of it is, but before getting too optimistic, remember they are on a grouse moor, and will travel over other moors, where their fate lies in the hands of criminals. I don't want to sound too gloomy, though.

Last edited:
Ian Thomson of the RSPB has confirmed (in a private message) that there were indeed around 9 nests and that a good number were successful. He suggests that this was due to it being a good year for voles.

An email from SNH stated "Many thanks for your email. Reports on nesting records of hen harriers in Scotland are currently being collated by the Scottish Raptor Monitoring Scheme. But we are indeed pleased to report that a relatively high number of hen harries have nested successfully in the Leadhills area."

An email from SNH stated "Many thanks for your email. Reports on nesting records of hen harriers in Scotland are currently being collated by the Scottish Raptor Monitoring Scheme. But we are indeed pleased to report that a relatively high number of hen harries have nested successfully in the Leadhills area."

Wonderful news. 'Raptor Persecution Scotland' have just confirmed this, too, and have stated that they have successfully been nesting there since grouse shooting stopped on the Leadhills Estate, surprise, surprise.

It was recently brought to my attention that although Leadhills has not had any grouse shooting this season, it is still keepered - with predator control. It will be resuming grouse shooting next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back