• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird - North Peru (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Hello all,

I am working on my Peru list right now and there is one bird I saw which is problematic. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos. The bird was seen in Affluentes (Northern Peru) at around 1500m. No vocalization was heard. The bird was hoping (not flying) very low in dense vegetation. It was about 18 cm. The color was dark brown and black with white spots on crown, nape and back. I could not see the underside.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hello all,

I am working on my Peru list right now and there is one bird I saw which is problematic. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos. The bird was seen in Affluentes (Northern Peru) at around 1500m. No vocalization was heard. The bird was hoping (not flying) very low in dense vegetation. It was about 18 cm. The color was dark brown and black with white spots on crown, nape and back. I could not see the underside.

Any suggestions welcome.

Do you have any guesses on what family it might have belonged to or what the bill shape was like? Thick? Thin? Finch-like?

The bill was of an average size and somewhat pointed.

I would guess this bird was a tapaculo or an antbird (I saw a couple of tapaculos during my trip and the behavior of this bird was reminiscent, plus the bill matches those families).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back