• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest box info please! (1 Viewer)

Christwell

Hi all!

This is my first visit to this site, and after seeing how helpful everyone is I've decided to try and tap into to the info to see if people can help me out.

Ive recently got into wildlife photography. I'd love have some nest boxes set up around the garden to get some nice pictures in spring/summer time.

Now, the garden isn't huge, it's more long than wide, I've got the idea of setting up maybe 3-5 nest boxes on either tree stakes or fence posts set up in the small free area of the garden.

I'd like to know if this is possible? Or do the birds need hight to use the boxes? Such as them set up high on the outside of the house. Also is there a certain distance between boxes that I need to follow?

I have had success a few years back with a box on the house wall, despite it being next to our garden path, so I can't see that causing an issue.

If anyone can suggest anything that would be brilliant. I can also provide pictures if the garden/are I want to set all this up if it will help people get a better understanding :)

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of advice forthcoming shortly, though things may not be quite so straightforward as you are currently thinking. Some birds are really fussy. What birds do you generally get visiting your garden in the summer? And what birds would you like to attract (that might take a while for them to find you if they're not already coming.)

Some birds are colonial nesters (like House Sparrows - which are getting very scarce in some areas) and others are very territorial (Robins) and won't allow another bird of the same species anywhere near.

Do come back with your species list.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

The birds that we get already are just the normal garden birds, tits and finches mostly, robins are frequently showing up aswell and sparrows.

To be honest with you I'm not 100% sure what I want to attract, especially for nesting, I am working on somthing to get the wood peckers back. But that's for another thread.

I didn't really think about different birds wanting a certain amount of space from another bird

Chris, Delia is right to point to the BTO note. It is the best overall guide. A few comments of mine in addition.

Height is not an issue for nest box use for most birds regarding whether they will use it, but it is important re predation. It needs to be above cat jumping height (about a metre) as they will try to ambush the parents as they go in and out, and the young when they fledge. Also most small birds like a clear path in and out, but not too far from cover in case a Sparrowhawk appears. A box along a long, bare wooden fence will not get much attention unless they are desperate. Direction is also important. The box should not be in full sun for most of the time. Even in a dismal UK summer there is often enough sun to get the interior baking hot, so some shade, or facing in the northern segment is a good idea.

Finally are you sure you want to encourage woodpeckers as well as tits? GSW will predate tit nestlings given half a chance so if there are woodpeckers about make sure you use hardwood boxes and even metal entrance plates for the tit boxes.

That said, do it! I won a camera box in a raffle a couple of years ago and it has been used by blue tits every year. Better than anything on TV.

Good luck.
Mick

The nest box thing is actually just a sort of back up plan if the woodpeckers don't show any interest. My mum is actually the one who's hoping they come back, and we have only had maybe 2 visits since I can temper living here. Unless they have just shown up without us knowing!

But I'll for sure check out that site and give it a think and let my mum know so she can decide. The nest box we used to have up was woodpecker safe, also we do have cover along the fence for young. Birds to fledge into. I am also planning to add more so fingers crossed everything goes to plan, so thanks for all the info!

Very much appreciated
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back