• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First bird nest and Ethic questions (1 Viewer)

nataliesurf77

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading! I just moved and built a double sided lattice wall to use for a climbing rose, or jasmine, or something similar. But to my surprise, after a week a bird built a beautiful nest! She has been busy every morning and now I am sure the best is complete. I even think she is sleeping there tonight - but am not sure. I peaked in the nest a couple of days ago by taping a mirror to a broom to see if there were any eggs. None. And after listening to her for several mornings and doing tons of research I realized she's a House Finch. I know they're common, but her song is beautiful and I've grown such a liking to her. I've yet to see her mate but I have a few questions, some regarding ethics - because I want to do this right.

1. Is it ok to peak? Obviously in the most unobtrusive way as possible - I am just dying to know what's going on up there!
2. It's raining here, but I also know it's spring, and as far as I know - she has no eggs, but could she still roost in her nest with the abscence of eggs?
3. Can I leave feed out of it is finch- approved. I don't want to take away from how they naturally get food, but is a little ok so I can enjoy more of her and what is, if ok, the best way to do this?
4. I did a (phone recorded) bird call a couple of days ago in the middle of the day to see if she would fly back to her nest but I never heard from her. I only did it once, and I don't intend on doing it more - I really don't want to disturb any type of mating. But is there a way to do this safely?
And finally,
5. After her babies have flown the coop (if she has any) can I safely take down the nest? I watched a video on finches and their raising of babies and there is a lot of poop that gets discarded! I also read it's illegal to dispose of nests. But I fear - where she has made her nest is very much protected and won't get naturally disposed of the elements. And I would be afraid of spiders, and would like to keep the area clean for plants, well after she & her babies have gone, of course. But I also heard sometimes finches will reuse their nests.

Any ideas or thought on any of my questions would gladly be appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm sure you'll get more specific advice from US birders but my broad comments would be...

1. Yes it's ok to peek - just don't do it more than once a week, and try to let any sitting bird know you are in the area and give it plenty of warning of your approach to the nest. This way it can slip off the nest normally and not risk it deserting the nest.
2. Roosting in the unused nest is not usual, but does occur in some species. No idea about House Finch.
3. No need to artificially feed - indeed best not to as that might attract other finches and create territorial tensions.
4. Don't play tapes/recordings - this again will only stress the resident breeding pair.
5. Once the young have fledged I'd say it's OK to remove the nest, but not until the end of the summer. Not sure of US law on the subject.

Good luck and enjoy

Mick

Great advice from Mick :t:
Just one thing; the singing bird will be the male - and the one doing a lot (all?) of the nest building too I think...

If you feel you have to peek, do so from a good distance away, ideally with binoculars so you can see detail without disturbing them at all :t:

House Finch is quite tolerant of human proximity. It's OK to peek once in a while, but try not to draw attention to the nest - predators may be interested in the eggs, and cowbirds may raid it too.

If your local birds are building nests already (where is Westlake Village? South of me, I'm guessing), they'll almost certainly attempt to raise more than one brood of chicks before fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back