• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uploading images to gallery (1 Viewer)

J dear

I uploaded my first images to the gallery recently, but had difficulty in getting a large image. If I am restricted to 200k, and use 72dpi , they are realtively small. what should I do to upload a standard sized image?
Thanks in anticipation, John

John,I think the standard procedure is to re size to 800 pixels(the longest side),then just check your file size is 200 or less.If you do a "save for web" ie if you have this facility in your editing prog,then save to the file size,and everything should be okay.
Re size the pixels after you have edited your image ie cropped and sharpened etc.

You can also go by the 800 x 800 pixel size (i.e., the longest side of your image cannot be longer than 800 pixels). Saved as a JPG file, that almost always will keep the file size itself to 200kb or less but will give you the larger image online. :t:

The gallery maximum size limits have two components - physical size in dimensions and file size - both must be complied with else the software

Physical size limit used to be 800x800 pixels but was relaxed a while ago. Much larger file sizes can be uploaded but you have to bear in mind that very large sizes mean members will have to scroll to view the whole photo. 800x600 has be a standard size for viewing for a few years now, though with many people owning larger monitor screens nowadays so maybe 1024x768 would be preferable or even larger.

File size is limited to 200kb. Using the 'save as' or 'save for web' function of your photo software is the easiest way to comply to this limit. Just keep increasing the compression until your happy with the quality v file size. Noise filtration software is another method to use which may also enhance the photo - especially if the exif info is also removed from the photo as that reduces file size a fair bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back