• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLG or CG?? (1 Viewer)

Rui_Caratão

This gull has been seen in the first days of August in Portugal, there are some CG like features, like head shape, upright posture....although dark eyes are not so uncommon on immature YLG.
Primaries were new to P5, and the tail band was still complete.

Attachments

• DSCN0210-1.jpg
    DSCN0210-1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN0202-1.jpg
    DSCN0202-1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 91
Doesn't look like a Common to me, size alone might rule it out but the facial structure and bill size don't do it either.

it's a 2nd summer moulting into 2nd winter and most probably an odd michahellis. the swanlike neck (2nd pic) together with dark eyes and upright posture of course give a cachinnans impression. head streaking looks too extensive though and bill tip looks blunt (strong curvature of upper mandible) and bill is a bit too high for a cach. moult stage doesn't really give a clue since it overlaps too much, this ind. being slightly late.
so, without giving a 100% ID, i think it is an unusually looking 3cy YLG.

it's a 2nd summer moulting into 2nd winter and most probably an odd michahellis. the swanlike neck (2nd pic) together with dark eyes and upright posture of course give a cachinnans impression. head streaking looks too extensive though and bill tip looks blunt (strong curvature of upper mandible) and bill is a bit too high for a cach. moult stage doesn't really give a clue since it overlaps too much, this ind. being slightly late.
so, without giving a 100% ID, i think it is an unusually looking 3cy YLG.

Seconded. It is an odd looking bird though and worthy of discussion.

Cheers, Andy.

On the field, that upright posture over all the other gulls was a constant, and the longer tibia reinforced that look. I also noticed the head streaking, its not that obvious but its there, and probably CG should by that time show plain white heads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back