• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Ocean with Simon Reeves 1/6 BBC2 22/4/2012 20.00pm-21.00pm (1 Viewer)

Just watched it myself and there is an article about Penguins and Sharks

The Shark article was a little dis-heartening with the reputation they have, and how they are treated in South Africa

Makes for some controversial viewing :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of this programme and its presenter. Nothing new came from this and Mr Reeves comes across a bit wishy washy. At least he wasn't all excitable or gung ho in his approach to his subjects. Still worth giving it a bit more time though.

Ewan McGregor's programme that followed, though not a wildlife programme, was a lot more interesting I thought.

Si.

Not sure what to make of this programme and its presenter. Nothing new came from this and Mr Reeves comes across a bit wishy washy. At least he wasn't all excitable or gung ho in his approach to his subjects. Still worth giving it a bit more time though.

Ewan McGregor's programme that followed, though not a wildlife programme, was a lot more interesting I thought.

Si.

I agree that Simon is a little like a new kid on the block.

Maybe time will tell about Simon if he has got the 'wildlife' presenter skills we all like.

The sharks he met underwater, are one of the most docile you can get so he would be safe in his quest no matter what.

Yes, Ewan McGregor was good in his programme, and presenting experience shows that he is confident in what he does.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
The shark finning made me sick, is there nothing humans will not do for money.

Exactly, it was a squeamish thing to watch, and I found myself wanting to go out of the room.

It does not help that Sharks have been given that 'evil' and 'bad' reuputation as that they have become. The way that films like Jaws have portrayed sharks has not helped either

I went to Capetown's beaches in South Africa in the 70's and 90's and I remember the Shark nets well.

Regards
Kathy
x

Indian Ocean Part 2/6

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ith_Simon_Reeve_Madagascar_to_the_Seychelles/

Part 2 was on last night and I enjoyed this programme - though some of the ground has been covered before in various ways and forms.

For some reason I remembered the Princes Tuna canning factory, and its secrets in coverage before on TV a few years back. It was an eye opener was the part about the exploitation of the tuna fish and fish in general in the oceans...all behind closed doors.

It also showed the difference between the areas that where aimed towards tourists well to do over areas that where poor people, and the population suffering. The deforestation having an effect on the climate made me think about the basic life some people on these islands lead.

I loved the 'lone' Yorkshire man and his island full of Tortoises. He bought a little bit of wilderness in the 60's and now his lives life close to Robinson Crusoe.

Worth a watch in my eyes, and simply to take what one can from the programme content.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I half watched last night's programme while getting my dinner.

On Thursday I was talking about maybe doing a Madagascar trip fairly soon and this brought home how little habitat remains and how restricted the wildlife now is. Maybe I need to be looking at bringing the trip forward.

Steve

I half watched last night's programme while getting my dinner.

On Thursday I was talking about maybe doing a Madagascar trip fairly soon and this brought home how little habitat remains and how restricted the wildlife now is. Maybe I need to be looking at bringing the trip forward.

Steve

Hi Steve

It does make you think about what 'real' habitat does exist. It is very sad to find out changes that make your think! :-C

I hope that your holiday go according to plan. Love to hear what you do, and your report.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back