• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Hummer LI NY, why did he leave? (1 Viewer)

Joym624

On Saturday morning, I was thrilled to see our first hummer of the season. He sipped happily throughout the day and returned early Sunday morning, doing the same. By Sunday afternoon, we hadn't seen him again. This afternoon, I still search for him. Do they continue to migrate sometimes after stopping at one spot? A picture is attached? Any info would be much appreciated as we miss our little guy.

Many thanks!
Joy

Attachments

• BestHummie5sharp copy.jpg
    BestHummie5sharp copy.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 93
Hi Joy

This time of year he might have been a migrator and on his way down towards my end but all is not lost cause my wintering hummer left for parts unknown further North ;)

What goes around , comes around...

He or she was on the way to greener pastures further north, so hopefully some more will stop by to 'fill up' on their journey. I can't tell by your photo, but if it was a Ruby throat the return here to Costa Rica in October. Since we have many other species year round, it is not 'quite so bad' waiting for them to return. They will stay here until late March.

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks

Thanks for both of your replies. Yes, it was a Ruby Throated. Is it a myth that hummingbirds send "scouts" out to find the food first?

Joy

A Female Arrives

A female arrived today and has been using both of our feeders. We are thrilled! Hopefully this one will stay.

Joy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back