• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching for the White-eared Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
On Thursday evening, some birders living in Brighton detected an odd hummingbird among the throngs of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting their feeders. After a careful study, they identified it as a Broad-billed Hummingbird. They immediately reported in on the internet, and some experts came and photographed it. After reviewing the photos, the experts identified it as a White-eared Hummingbird, a first for Michigan. This bird is quite rare in the United States. A Mexican species, the only spot were they are seen with any regularity in the US is extreme south-eastern Arizona. A few have been spotted in Texas and New Mexico, but prior to this sighting in Michigan, only one had been seen east of the Mississippi River. By 6:30 the next morning, birders were already watching it. Dozens of people crowded to see it in the morning. When my mom heard about it, she offered to take me and my friend Craig to go see it. After some difficulty, we found the spot. On the driveway, a hummingbird was drawn in chalk with "White-eared Hummingbird Way" written under it, with an arrow pointing to the front yard. A neighbor was selling lemonade and other drinks to the birders. A few birders were around, chatting. They informed us it was visiting on and off, and pointed out its favorite feeder. We waited. It was not a boring wait; the antics of the many Ruby-throated Hummingbirds amused us, and Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers vied for a position on the nearby suet feeder. After twenty minutes, someone yelled, "There he is!" and pointed to the feeder. I got the scope on it, and the view was breathtaking; what a beautiful bird! Just as I was getting my camera out to photograph it, it zipped up into a nearby tree and took a rest on a dead branch. This time I was able to get some photos. Then he took another drink and disappeared for 45 minutes. Just as we were getting ready to leave, he came back to the feeder. This time he stuck around for several minutes, giving excellent views as he perched in the tree, drank from the feeder or hovered around the flowers. I must say we all came home satisfied.

Attachments

• WEHU3.JPG
    WEHU3.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 334
Nice one, what a great sighting for Michigan!

If Bill A hadn't reported it as awol, I'd be tempted to twitch it from Florida!

Great looking bird Neil - just a litle jealous - looks like you got lucky as well as it seems to have disappeared as Trevor says.

Luke

Well I'm a bit jealous myself but really very happy that you not only got to see it Neil but to get a great shot of it as well showing its white ear. :t:

How nice of the homeowners to open up their yard for this as well.

Oh, it was a fantastic bird. Unfortunately, it hasn't been reported since 6:55 a.m. yesterday morning, even though hundreds of birders visited the site in an attempt to see it. The homeowners, I must say, were very, very kind. The wife (Melissa) pretty much sat outside with the birders all day Friday, talking and giving advice about its habits. They seemed thrilled to have all the birders come for their bird, and the husband, Jim, now sends regular updates over the internet to birders.

Hi Neil,

Congratulations!!! I just saw your picture on surfbirds.com, along with a couple of other pics from someone else. There was a White-eared Hummer in Colorado not long ago as well, and a Green Violet-ear in Wisconsin. What's with all these mexican species going far north?!!!!

Michael W said:
What's with all these mexican species going far north?!!!!

Obviously they are coming up here to work due to the bad economic conditions down south. ;)

Check out the Mexican Sheartail photos on the website in my sig line.

That's a beautiful bird and a Great photo! I also live in Oakland County. If I would of known about it, I would of tried to see it also. Your lucky it showed up for you.

Yowza, Neil, what a fantastic shot! How lucky to see such a rare species! Thanks so much for posting it and the report. That was extremely kind of the homeowners to let so many people into their yard and lives.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back