• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Preparing to leave.... (1 Viewer)

Paminfra

"Our" House Martins showing their young where to return next year and getting ready to go. Sorry about the quality it was fairly early and the light in the village street is never that good.

Attachments

• Preparing to leave.JPG
    Preparing to leave.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 47
Golly, Pam, what a collection. The pic may be a little dark, but I still like it a lot. Thanks!

Thanks, I know it's an awful picture but it was just so amazing to see so many birds just above the houses like that. Strangely, still no Swallows coming through and we've hardly seen any all summer. I'm keeping my eyes open, though!

What an exciting time for you Pam! Good to see the photo, I think it looks very arty with the birds and lamps and silhouettes!

Keep those eyes peeled for the Swallows and the camera handy:t:

Hi Pam,
Ah, what a great image, it reminds me of the film Oliver! lol!
I love the silhouettes Pam, and so many of them too.
Hope they all have a safe journey & remember where they came from!
Bye for now

Wow Pam, what a lot you've got!!
That's a great photo Pam, there's no need to apologise for it at all, it is very dramatic and shows the birds up so well, against the lighter sky. Thanks for sharing it with us. God speed the H.M's and a safe return next year.

Hi Pam

Wonderful shot, and it looks so busy. Lots of HM's in a huddle o:)

Send them my good wishes here, for a happy return next year o:)

Thanks everyone and I did wish them bon voyage from the ex-Beebers! There were actually many hundreds of them (at a rough estimate) all milling about and visiting their nests as if to show the young HM s where they had to come back to next Spring!

These were hotly pursued by the first of the Swallows, meeting and feeding here very early this morning...

Attachments

• Leaving at Dawn.JPG
    Leaving at Dawn.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 30
It is, isn't it but at this time of year it's a bit like a super-highway round here! There are also quite large numbers of Warblers about just now - alas I'm not very good at those so can't be more precise!

Hi Pam,

There are still lots of Swallows around this neck of the country and you may have seen my thread about House Martins from yesterday. I guess that the less good weather predicted for the coming week may hasten their departure.

It could be, Wendy, they do seem to be on the move a bit earlier than usual here so we'll see. I'd say they're a good two weeks earlier than in previous yearsl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back