• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia in July? (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Found what looks a half-decent holiday deal on the web for the 3rd week in July. Knowing bugger all about Gambia I popped into the local Thompson's to pick up a brochure only to be told they didn't have any as it was only a winter destination.
Anyone have any thoughts on why this is?

Phil

I believe it's their rainy season (hot, wet and lots of mosquitos) but I would imagine it's still pretty good for birding.

Yes, as I indicated in a post that got lost in the forum problems over the weekend, "Where to Watch Birds in Africa" indicates July-September is the rainy season. It recommends November as a good time to visit, e.g. because migrants are moving through.

Best,
Jim

Gambia in July

August or September are the best times to go, birds in colour, it's cheaper, and quieter.

When you see a red bishop stuffed full of testosterone, doing it's macho thing every 200 metres on the bus from the airport you'll know what I mean!

But it's hot, wet and humid although the rain is intermittent and the air is crystal clear after the rain.

And you MUST take anti-malarials or you have a really real risk of infection and dying!

Most of the larger hotels have resident bird guides of adequate ability who have contacts with vehicles of varying states of decrepitude. Or if you're after a real expert inquire for Solomon who really knows his stuff and is a nice guy as well.

It's the easiest country I've ever filmed in; the trees aren't high and the vegetation comparatively sparse.

Egyptian plovers amidst the chaos and debris of Basse is a must.

All just six hours from the UK and no time change.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back