• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Tits in Surrey (1 Viewer)

Gerry,

This species is found in Passfield in Hampshire and locally towards Odiham and there is no reason why this species does not hang on in pockets in areas not watched by birders. Watch this space.
Rich

It is no longer possible to find Willow Tits along the Basingstoke Canal and its environs (including Dogmersfield Lake, Tundry Pond and Springhead) and the old reliable site of Butter Wood has been silent these last four years at least. It is possible I suppose that one or two might cling on beyond the other side of RAF Odiham but I don't go there often and when I do (usually after Little Owl or Grey partridge, the latter also practically annihilated locally) Willow Tits fail to leap out at me.

Marsh Tits remain at all the above sites.

When Lee speaks of a large forestry area in North Hampshire abutting Berkshire he must mean Bramshill (is that right Lee?), but my regular travels through there in search of herps have not yielded Willow Tits: Ravens overhead are now more frequent there.

John

Hi,

I joined BirdForum just to comment on this.
Although I haven't seen any this year, Willow Tits were certainly in woods to the south of Wisley Airfiield (known as Hookwood) last year and for at least three years before that.

This is private land, and access is only permitted to certain people and even then only at certain times. This makes it very difficult to monitor the population at all. However, Willow Tit are still present in these woods. I think one was ringed here as part of the survey by the BTO but I have had no clarification on that.

See the 'patch map' on: http://bowesbirdingblog.blogspot.com/ for exact location.

Hope this helps,

Alex

It is no longer possible to find Willow Tits along the Basingstoke Canal and its environs (including Dogmersfield Lake, Tundry Pond and Springhead) and the old reliable site of Butter Wood has been silent these last four years at least. It is possible I suppose that one or two might cling on beyond the other side of RAF Odiham but I don't go there often and when I do (usually after Little Owl or Grey partridge, the latter also practically annihilated locally) Willow Tits fail to leap out at me.

Marsh Tits remain at all the above sites.

When Lee speaks of a large forestry area in North Hampshire abutting Berkshire he must mean Bramshill (is that right Lee?), but my regular travels through there in search of herps have not yielded Willow Tits: Ravens overhead are now more frequent there.

John

John,

RAFOS included Willow Tit on their survey of RAF Odiham last year. A RAFOS contact also states he has had them in the lay-by between Odiham and Farnham (north of Crondall I suspect).

Rich

Willow tit has declined markedly in the North too,used to be relatively common when I started birding 30 years ago in Merseyside /SW Lancs now can be hard to find,still a pocket of birds around Burscough/Rufford,most of the old habitat is still their not sure really what the cause of the decline is,its a shame its a bird I used to take for granted when I was birding my local area as a kid

John,

RAFOS included Willow Tit on their survey of RAF Odiham last year. A RAFOS contact also states he has had them in the lay-by between Odiham and Farnham (north of Crondall I suspect).

Rich

The usual lay-by for Willow Tit was the one alongside the woods around Dogmersfield Lake. It is just possible there may still be a pair in there but they have eluded me for some years and they used to be easy, so I have my doubts.

John

The usual lay-by for Willow Tit was the one alongside the woods around Dogmersfield Lake. It is just possible there may still be a pair in there but they have eluded me for some years and they used to be easy, so I have my doubts.

John

The plot thickens!

Willow tit has declined markedly in the North too,used to be relatively common when I started birding 30 years ago in Merseyside /SW Lancs now can be hard to find,still a pocket of birds around Burscough/Rufford,most of the old habitat is still their not sure really what the cause of the decline is,its a shame its a bird I used to take for granted when I was birding my local area as a kid

Being an exiled Mancunian I get to see them at home yearly at Pennington Flash which, in some respects is the only place I know they will be seen almost on every visit.

I joined BirdForum today to specifically comment on this thread. I am an independent Environmental Consultant, a birder of 20 years and have for the last 13 months been employed by an estate south of the the A3 in Surrey (details withheld) to produce an impact statement for a proposed Golf Course on my client's land. The land has a significantly sized woodland with most trees over 200 years old. I have lived on the outskirts of West London throughout and have visited and surveyed the land daily. Apart from a thriving Doormouse population, 2 pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and a small breeding population of Mandarin I have found 3 pairs of Willow Tit with males singing throughout the spring. I did not appreciate the magnitude of this until I found this thread. I cannot disclose the sight due to confidentiality but there appear to be isolated populations of Willow Tit in Surrey. I am happy to take PMs on this but urge Surrey birders to think out of the box and look at areas where you would expect Willow Tits to occur (you might be surprised). Some of the comments have been rather disappointing on this thread and said individuals (you know who you are) might want to get out a bit more and look for this species; you will be aware this this species is declining and a better understanding of its distribution is paramount.

Steve

Points taken, but it may be that most or all remaining Surrey Willow Tits might be restricted to private land unfortunately. Sounds like it'd be good to keep that woodland too...

I joined BirdForum today to specifically comment on this thread. I am an independent Environmental Consultant, a birder of 20 years and have for the last 13 months been employed by an estate south of the the A3 in Surrey (details withheld) to produce an impact statement for a proposed Golf Course on my client's land. The land has a significantly sized woodland with most trees over 200 years old. I have lived on the outskirts of West London throughout and have visited and surveyed the land daily. Apart from a thriving Doormouse population, 2 pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and a small breeding population of Mandarin I have found 3 pairs of Willow Tit with males singing throughout the spring. I did not appreciate the magnitude of this until I found this thread. I cannot disclose the sight due to confidentiality but there appear to be isolated populations of Willow Tit in Surrey. I am happy to take PMs on this but urge Surrey birders to think out of the box and look at areas where you would expect Willow Tits to occur (you might be surprised). Some of the comments have been rather disappointing on this thread and said individuals (you know who you are) might want to get out a bit more and look for this species; you will be aware this this species is declining and a better understanding of its distribution is paramount.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for sharing this with us. Were you intending to submit them? I'd be grateful if you could supply some notes on these birds so the record doesn't get lost. (keep the location secret if you wish). You can download a rare bird form from the Surrey Bird Club website here:

http://www.surreybirdclub.org.uk/how_to_report.html

Regards
Dave

Steve

Thanks for sharing this with us. Were you intending to submit them? I'd be grateful if you could supply some notes on these birds so the record doesn't get lost. (keep the location secret if you wish). You can download a rare bird form from the Surrey Bird Club website here:

http://www.surreybirdclub.org.uk/how_to_report.html

Regards
Dave

Dave,

thanks. Will do. If it helps I think that the current economic climate will put pay to an Golf Course!:t:

I am back home watching Chough from my back door - heaven!

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

PM sent. Understand if you cannot answer. Not that I noticed but you might want to look at your mammalian spelling in your post.

Rich

Steve,

PM sent. Understand if you cannot answer. Not that I noticed but you might want to look at your mammalian spelling in your post.

Rich

Richard. PM returned. Thanks for pointing out my massive mistake; that's my credentials out of the window and will teach me not to use Blackberry in the future!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back