• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds - March 2013 (1 Viewer)

Docmartin

Thought Police
British Birds March 2013

The March issue of British Birds is now out.

BB eye
The value of recording, by Mark Holling

The Bernard Tucker Memorial Lecture: A species is whatever I say it is
Nigel Collar’s transcript of his Bernard Tucker lecture, which charts the development of taxonomy in ornithology and assesses how the current system serves conservationists, is a gripping read. He concludes that ‘Conservationists have plenty of other work to be getting on with, and taking up their time with incomplete evidence and underdeveloped arguments whose final import is a species is whatever I say it is, in the style of Humpty Dumpty, seems hardly the most durable of foundations for “taxonomic progress”.’

Plumage variability of Marsh Harriers
The Marsh Harrier is typically illustrated in field guides as a sexually dimorphic species, with several age classes identifiable by differences in plumage pattern and colour. In some populations, however, such as the one described in this paper, in west-central France, the species can show extreme plumage variability in adult males and, to a lesser extent, in adult females. In this population, barely a single adult male looks like a typical ‘field-guide male’. Since this plumage variability is independent of age and sex, it is almost impossible to age birds solely from their plumage. The authors recommend the recognition of this species as polymorphic, at least in some parts of its range.

The BB/BTO Best Bird Book of the Year 2012
The winner, The Reed Warblers: diversity in a uniform bird family (by Bernd Leisler and Karl Schulze-Hagen, illustrated by David Quinn, KNNV Publishing, 2011) is a wide-ranging review of the Acrocephalidae. This book sets the genera within a number of fascinating biological contexts and provides background to species that last year’s winner helps us to identify. It is full of comparisons, within the acrocephalids and between them and their New World counterparts, that provide extraordinary insights into the ecology of these species. A beautiful design and many first-rate drawings and photographs combine with erudite yet clearly written and informative text to make a book well worthy of our highest accolade.

Conservation research news
The dove’s last stand? Turtle Doves retreat to the best bits of breeding habitat
Construction of upland windfarms can displace some breeding brids, but effects differ between species
Protected raeas will be critical to allow birds to respond to climate change

Notes
Fighting behaviour of Mute Swans
Breeding Pink-footed Geese in Norfolk
Common Shelducks attacking and killing Arctic Skua
Red-breasted Merganser display
Raptor migration at the Pelagie Islands
House Sparrow copulating with juvenile
Repeated feather-catching by Common Chaffinch
Cirl Bunting feigning injury

Letters, reviews, news and recent reports complete the March issue.

For more details, and to see a recent issue of the magazine, visit our website at www.britishbirds.co.uk

I was pleased to see that the Reed Warblers book had won BBY - had no idea til i read it in the issue!
It's quite remarkable that titles on the humble reed warblers have won for two years running. If only all avian families could be treated in such high-quality works!

The Bernard Tucker Memorial Lecture: A species is whatever I say it is
Nigel Collar’s transcript of his Bernard Tucker lecture, which charts the development of taxonomy in ornithology and assesses how the current system serves conservationists, is a gripping read. He concludes that ‘Conservationists have plenty of other work to be getting on with, and taking up their time with incomplete evidence and underdeveloped arguments whose final import is a species is whatever I say it is, in the style of Humpty Dumpty, seems hardly the most durable of foundations for “taxonomic progress”.’

With respect, Martin, I doubt the majority of BB readers will find it a 'gripping read'. From your perspective, maybe. Whilst not a scientist I had a pretty decent education, yet found this paper very heavy going, peppered as it is with arcane terminology. That said, it was an eye-opener...not necessarily in a good way!

With respect, Martin, I doubt the majority of BB readers will find it a 'gripping read'. From your perspective, maybe. Whilst not a scientist I had a pretty decent education, yet found this paper very heavy going, peppered as it is with arcane terminology. That said, it was an eye-opener...not necessarily in a good way!

I found it a gripping read and I have a most unscientific background ( never did any scientific subject at school past 14) but I have struggled to understand other BB articles on genetics.

I also enjoyed the article on Marsh Harriers which left me wondering if they are more frequent in the UK than the one confirmed record. I doubt that I go to Marsh Harrier territories frequently enough to try and see.

I found it a gripping read and I have a most unscientific background ( never did any scientific subject at school past 14) but I have struggled to understand other BB articles on genetics.

Yes, reading my last post back again it does come over a bit presumptuous doesn't it. Ah well, sorry about that. It certainly wasn't meant to be a slight on anyone's intelligence. Still, 'gripping' is a word I would generally associate with something thrilling and unputdownable. I found it a compelling read, for sure, but hardly thrilling. I haven't had to re-read so many sentences/paragraphs for a long time. Perhaps I'm just a lazy beggar who doesn't want to do any work for his knowledge?

Edit. That said, I think a glossary wouldn't be out of place in some BB papers. Or is that too much like dumbing down?

Although, unlike Joan T, I did do some science after 14 I too am a non-scientist. I do perhaps, read more 'popular science' books than some, but would agree that some papers, including the Bernard Tucker Memorial Lecture, can be quite challenging. However, this is exactly why I get 'BB' - it's good to be stretched and challenged. Technical terms can be daunting, but in these days of the internet most can be researched quite easily. I wouldn't like to see a glossary in 'BB' but perhaps there could be one online. The article was certainly a difficult read for me, but a very interesting one. I wouldn't personally describe the article as 'gripping' but can see why others might do so.

Unfortunately i don't subscribe to BB these days so unless i can find an online transcript i will have to remain 'gripped off' by those fortunate enough to have read it;)

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back