• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capercaillie guidetours? (1 Viewer)

Caledonian

Hi everyone,

This spring I am planning to travel (for a few days) to the cairngorms area where I hope to see the Capercaillie. It would be a lifer for me and a big dream come true to see one. (I'm planning to go around half of april)
My question is: Are there any Guidetours with good chance to see Capercaillie? any tips/websites are welcome.
Also it could be that I would search for my one? Which region/forrest etc gives me a good shot to see Capercaillie? any information could also be send to me by PM.
another option. Are there any locals who could shown me around, have a trip to the Capercaillie? I like to meet someone who is familiar with the Capercaillie in his local area.
All options are open and please don't hessitate (feel free) to respond in this topic or to send me a PM.

kind regards,
Rik van der Starre

Last edited:
The easiest way is go on one of the Caper-watches that occur each year at Loch Garten RSPB which are running (I think) from 1st April to 21st May. They usually begin at 5.30 a.m. and end at 8.30 a.m. Cost is £3.00 for a non-member, £1.00 if you are a member.

A reputable tour company like the one Mark has linked to is your best bet (apart from RSPB caperwatch), as they will operate within the law. Trying to find your own (particularly in the early morning) should not be attempted in the spring. Apart from the difficulty in finding leks without prior knowledge, if you disturb the birds in the process you would be committing a criminal offence. Capercaillie leks have Schedule 1 protection (the same legal protection as Eagle nests etc.).

Thanks everyone for your comments. and sorry voor my delay reaction.
I am aware of the protection status of the capercaillie and of course it's not my intenstion to do this.
Thanks for the link and also thanks for the tip to go on a Caper watch from the RSPB. I surely would do one of those trips/caper watch.
thanks again.

A cautionary word on the Caperwatch that I have heard from someone who has done it. You are given about 15mins in the old hide that is closer to the action before you are asked to vacate to let the next people in and so if your luck isn't in and you don't see them as what happened to the person who told me of this then well it's unfortunately tough luck and you may have to try again on the Caperwatch another day. Point I'm making is there's more than a good chance you will get to see lekking Capers doing the Caperwatch but it is by no means guaranteed viewing.

That said t'was a fair few years ago now (13 or 14 maybe) but I was in the Loch Garten Hide just to see the Ospreys, was my first time at Loch Garten or birding in Scotland for that matter and I actually saw Capercaillie in the middle of the day from the main hide so you never really know your luck.

We regularly visit the Highlands in April/May making use of the Caper watches at Loch Garten. We've seen then through the day on several occasions from the hide and through the trees from the footpath to the hide.

Even on the Caper watches you can usually see them from the main hide - both driectly and on the TV screens. Sometimes depending on where they're located you have to visit the smaller hide in rotation if there are a lot of visitors. If there's a time limit set for each group you can join the queue for a second visit.

Loch Garten would be my choice for venue, less disturbance and better chance of seeing the birds. I have bird in my own area (less than 4 minutes from my front door) but due to disturbance I do not take tours there.

For matter of interest #2#5 other reputable tour companies are available ;-)

Thanks everyone for you comments.
As you can see in another topic, http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224528 I'm also planning to go to the outher hebrides in may.
This highland trip should be a budget one so unfortunately the heatherlea tours are no option for me this year.
I will try it a few days from Loch Garten.
Are there any nice Hostels, cheap B&B's or campsites near Loch Garten?

Any tips are welcome.

Some Information about accommondation:
I'm gonna stay in Lazy duck Hostel: www.lazyduck.co.uk
I wonder if I could see or hear crested tits in this area. We will see, this location should be beautifull I think and not to far from Loch Garten.

Another Question. I'm planning to go the end of April for the Capercaillie. Is this not to late to see them from Loch Garten?

Some Information about accommondation:
I'm gonna stay in Lazy duck Hostel: www.lazyduck.co.uk
I wonder if I could see or hear crested tits in this area. We will see, this location should be beautifull I think and not to far from Loch Garten.

Another Question. I'm planning to go the end of April for the Capercaillie. Is this not to late to see them from Loch Garten?

Crested Tits shall be around your Hostel.Try and learn their calls before you go and you should pick them up a lot easier.There are various websites,that you can go on,to learn and hear them.

I think the Capercaillie watch at Loch Garten runs until May.

Thanks for this.
In the Netherlands where I come from originally crested tit is a quite common bird, so it shouldn't be to difficult to hear a crested tit if there is one in the area.. :)

Let's hope for the best to see a Capercaillie, al do garanty is far from sure ofcourse :)

Crested Tits shall be around your Hostel.Try and learn their calls before you go and you should pick them up a lot easier.There are various websites,that you can go on,to learn and hear them.

I think the Capercaillie watch at Loch Garten runs until May.

Lazy ducks is excellent for crested tit. They can be seen on the feeders on the buildings, as well as red squirrels. It's a great wee spot.

Thanks again Mark!

This confirms what I already thought and hoped!
even Capercaillies in the neighborhood of what I read on there website

Cheers,
Rik

Lazy ducks is excellent for crested tit. They can be seen on the feeders on the buildings, as well as red squirrels. It's a great wee spot.

Last edited:

Peak display time for Capercaillie is usually around the third week in April, which is when the females typically visit the lek. However, the males will continue to display into May.

Thanks again for all the information.

I already have so much help from people. Let's hope for the best.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

cheers,
Rik

Peak display time for Capercaillie is usually around the third week in April, which is when the females typically visit the lek. However, the males will continue to display into May.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back