• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacing a 25 year old Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt? (1 Viewer)

bittern

Switzerland
I have a 25 year old Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt that has seen better days and which I would like to replace with another small lightweight state of the art waterproof roof prism.

I spent quite a lot of time today testing various bins including the Swaro 8x32EL, the current version of the Dialyt with T*P, the Opticron Imagic BGA.PC ASF and Opticron Verano BGA as well as the Leica BN.

I compared side by side looking at the standard Swarovski test charts at various distances and had somewhat expected that the EL would blow the other bins out of the water. I was surprised to find that the Opticron Imagic was to my eyes near enough the same as the Swaro but for a huge price difference. What is more the store was also pushing the Opticron too in spite of handling both makes!

Anybody care to comment on the Opticron BGA.PC ASF in particular as to how it handles in more normal field conditions. So far I have only been able to compare on the test patterns.

Mike

Mike,

2 comments here. First off, having done a great deal of comparison with test charts recently (going so far as to create my own resolution chart), I would like to say that while charts can be a useful tool to help evaluate binocular performance, they do NOT tell the whole story. One of my binoculars scored fairly well on the resolution test, but is nearly impossible to use in real-world situations because of it's abyssmal brightness and miscollimation. Compare binoculars, use the charts and record your results, then use the figures as one piece in a large "puzzle" of what binocular to buy. Your own perceptions actually using binoculars in the field will tell you FAR more than any test chart ever could.

Second, I would like to state something that might offend some binocular buyers, but I've found it to be true. Price is NOT equal to quality, and you do NOT necessarily get what you pay for. I have found several binoculars in my extensive testing that are as good as the high-end Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica models for a fraction of the price. Most notably is the Nikon HG 8x32, this binocular can be had for half what you would pay for an 8x32 Swarovski EL, and is every bit as good optically. Sure, it's heavier - but also more rugged (at least in my not-so-humble opinion).

Other examples include the Bausch&Lomb Discover 7x42, a truly magnificent binocular that can currently be found for around $250 at many retailers, due to the discontinuation of Bausch&Lomb's product line. The Alpen Apex models are also worth a look, I've been very impressed when comparing these $300-$400 binoculars to the high-end brands. The point is, there are some true bargains out there that rival the high-end binos, so keep your eyes open (pun intended!) ;)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Thanks!

Thanks very much, I agree with what you are saying and I suspect that "street cred" is an important factor in many people's mind! I will of course endeavour to try the bins in more normal conditions before deciding.

Am going back today with my old bins to try and see just what are the differences, I am looking for a small waterproof bin that I can carry everywhere with me when my Zeiss Classic 10x40s are a bit too bulky.

The old Dialyt was excellent for that but optically it leaves a lot to be desired. Many of the bins you mention are not generally available in Europe I think, at least not here. The Opticrons are certainly of Asian origin and may correspond with something sold under another name in the US.

Mike

bittern said:
Thanks very much, I agree with what you are saying and I suspect that "street cred" is an important factor in many people's mind! I will of course endeavour to try the bins in more normal conditions before deciding.

Am going back today with my old bins to try and see just what are the differences, I am looking for a small waterproof bin that I can carry everywhere with me when my Zeiss Classic 10x40s are a bit too bulky.

The old Dialyt was excellent for that but optically it leaves a lot to be desired. Many of the bins you mention are not generally available in Europe I think, at least not here. The Opticrons are certainly of Asian origin and may correspond with something sold under another name in the US.

Mike

Don't forget to try the Nikon 8x32 HG DCF or the new HGLs version.

I've had a pair of Zeiss 10x40 BGAT for 18 years, and my new Nikon beat them in brightness, contrats, sharpness, close focus, fast focus and their build quality is great. £379 at Warehouse Express in the UK but I dare say they are now on offer elsewhere too.

Nikon 8x32

trealawboy said:
Don't forget to try the Nikon 8x32 HG DCF or the new HGLs version.

I've had a pair of Zeiss 10x40 BGAT for 18 years, and my new Nikon beat them in brightness, contrats, sharpness, close focus, fast focus and their build quality is great. £379 at Warehouse Express in the UK but I dare say they are now on offer elsewhere too.

I'll certainly try and see the Nikons, oddly enough they don't seem to be widely available here in Geneva.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Opticron are usually excellent value for money. You may want to check out the latest from Zeiss and the Leica Ultravids.

Definitely check the Nikons.

Nikons etc...

pduxon said:
Hi Mike,

Opticron are usually excellent value for money. You may want to check out the latest from Zeiss and the Leica Ultravids.

Definitely check the Nikons.

We only have two proper optical shops here in Geneva and one is discontinuing Nikon completely and the other has just a few older models sitting on their shelves. Maybe Nikon Switzerland is not very dynamic!

Neither have the most recent Zeiss either! I did try the Ultravids together with the Swaro ELs and also the Minox 8x32. I am not prepared to buy the Nikons by mail unseen!

I finally decided for the Opticrons (imagic) as I felt them to be (subjectively)as good as the much higher priced bins while being decidedly more affordable.

I'm off birding this afternoon, hope that there is something to see without going miles...

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back