• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glaring Omissions. (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Sure this has been done before but here goes.

My British List currently stands at 415-ish and it does contain a few rather embarrassing gaps, the most shameful being Purple Heron, followed closely by Quail.
Anyone else care to admit their failings.

Phil

I was late on Quail & Purple Heron, both post-400. Currently still need plenty of tarty stuff; Serin, Olive-backed Pipit, Booted & Arctic Warblers, Little Bittern all spring to mind.

Cheers

James

I was late on Quail & Purple Heron, both post-400. Currently still need plenty of tarty stuff; Serin, Olive-backed Pipit, Booted & Arctic Warblers, Little Bittern all spring to mind.

Cheers

James

Thought it was just me with Quail and Purple Heron. Seen all your others but it did remind me I still need Greenish Warbler, must be dozens each year.
Capercaillie is another.

Phil

I'm hopefully still sub 350, but have found 2 Purple Herons and seen another (!). Recall there was a thread on here about the common birds people needed, if I recall still need Corncrake and Cory's (in the uk) from the 250 or so 'regulars' in the map section of the Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow old Collins. Don't really see them as failings though ... although I probably should target some seawatching at a suitable time and location one year soon ...

Last edited:
I also still need Caspian Gull (LWHG taxonomy having moved on at a fair old lick since I was a travelling lister), but I'm keeping that in my back pocket, boning up on the features, and in the next couple of years I'll head off on a mission to have it as a world tick, self-found in the UK.

James

Having just passed 370, the most glaring omissions must be, Long-billed Dowitcher, Corncrake, Cirl Bunting, Golden Pheasant and Marsh Warbler. Also still missing Isles of Scilly, Shetland and Ireland.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back