• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the enemy of the grey heron (1 Viewer)

merl1n

Does anyone know what is the natural predator of the grey heron. i have 1 that is slowly eating my 2 ponds dry. i thought instead of devices and plastic birds i could use its natural enemy. what about birds of prey? are there any the heron dusnt like very much?

Last edited:
merl1n said:
Does anyone know what is the natural predator of the grey heron. i have 1 that is slowly eating my 2 ponds dry. i thought instead of devices and plastic birds i could use its natural enemy.

Sorry out of luck.........there aren't any.

merl1n said:
what about birds of prey. are there any the heron dont like much?

Sorry, As Mark said, there is no UK Bird of Prey that would tackle a Heron. Only possible natural predator may be a fox, even then they would be unlikely to take on that formidable beak. I guess your only option is to net the pond or try a plastic heron 'decoy', since there is some reasoning that only one hunting heron will occupy a single food source.

Good luck.

Well, there is a bird of prey that is capable of hunting and killing Grey Herons.
It's the White-tailed Eagle.

There are also reports of White-tailed Eagles killing young Osprey, Common Buzzard, Black Kite and Goshawk as well as Greylag Goose, Stork, Crane and Whooper Swan.

Eckart

Pluvius said:
I have seen a heron being attacked by two peregrines in Donegal. Successfully

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Falconers used to fly Peregrines at Herons at one time, though they were generally flown in a 'cast' (ie. two birds). The Heron was rarely killed, the Peregrines 'binding' to the Heron and bringing it down to earth, whereupon falconer on horseback would ride up and rescue the Heron.

Gyrs were also flown at Herons (and Red Kites), though the outcome might have been a little more deadly, as Gyrs are far more likely to battle with quarry when on the ground.

saluki

saluki said:
Hi Stephen,

I simply posted to illustrate that Peregrines are capable of taking Herons. It was, indeed, the 'real world' - if not the entirely natural world - a hundred years or so ago.

An account of Heron hawking can be found here:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc12787/misc/seebright01.html

saluki

hence the hamlet line about telling a hawk from a handsaw....plastic herons generally don't work. stringing fishing line as a taut barrier about 6 inches above the water and 6 inches in from the edge seems to work for us as they don't like bumping into it when wading. you might need more than one layer depending on the shape of your pond so they can't stand on the edge and crane over the line though.

I would not be too surprised if a plastic Eagle Owl would do the trick. Might also scare a lot of small birds away, or you may have encounters where they try to mop the figure until they discover its not real.

Niels

merl1n said:
Does anyone know what is the natural predator of the grey heron. i have 1 that is slowly eating my 2 ponds dry. i thought instead of devices and plastic birds i could use its natural enemy. what about birds of prey? are there any the heron dusnt like very much?
Saw a documentery on this once. Alligators love to eat Herons. This is true but then you would have to feed the gator the rest of your fish.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back