• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

When I was a Strumpshaw Fen about ten days ago I saw some damselflies which were a very dark irridescent bluish green including the wings. They were beside the track from the Tower hide to the railway crossing.

Information gleaned from the appropriate section of this forum suggests that they were either Beautiful Demoiselles or, more likely, Banded Demoiselle, neither of which are that common (especially the Beautiful Demoiselle.) If anyone is at Strumpshaw it is worth looking out for them as they looked rather beautiful, dancing about over the reeds.

Ron

Did it look like this? The photo was taken at Strumpshaw along the riverside at about the same time. It is a Banded Demoiselle.
Sue

Attachments

• Banded-Demoiselle--(1)-Stru.jpg
    Banded-Demoiselle--(1)-Stru.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 105
Did it look like this? The photo was taken at Strumpshaw along the riverside at about the same time. It is a Banded Demoiselle.
Sue
Hi Sue. That's a nice photo. All I can say is that it looked very similar to that but unfortunately I didn't look closely enough to tell the difference between a Banded or Beautiful Demoiselle. However, I have since learned from Harassed Dad that it was almost certainly a Banded Demoiselle as the Beautifuls are only found in one place in Norfolk whereas Bandeds are very widespread. They are still lovely things to look at though.

Ron

Last edited:
I'm off to North Norfolk next week and have my list of places to go but can anyone recommend which is the best not to be missed place to visit at this moment in time?

In between the rain showers at Burnham Overy Staithe the highlights we had:

Barn Owl hunting in broad daylight
Hobby
4 little egrets
3 Little terns
Marsh harriers

Then we twitched the Red backed shrike at Blakeney- she was showing well.

In between the rain showers at Burnham Overy Staithe the highlights we had:

Barn Owl hunting in broad daylight

Seen a lot of Barn Owls hunting in the day time myself recently, maybe the increased activity during the day by adult birds is indicative of a good breeding year for these birds.

Matt

Spent an hour at the Ryborough watchpoint this afternoon. No Honey Buzzards, but:

Common Buzzards
1 Hobby
1 Kestrel
1 Barn Owl
Couple of Common Terns

Shall try again after some fine weather.

Jason

P.s. whats this Shrike sp. reported from Wells? Anybody know?

Min of 200 swifts feeding just north of the village last night after rain

Seemed very quiet today so pottered around NE looking at a few plants, managed a pint at Salthouse.

in the evening: Little Owl, Hobbies, Turtle Doves around Sea Palling village, imm. Gannets heading south, spent a pleasant evening watching the Little Terns and Ringos on the beach

The mystery warbler at Blakeney Point recently was a Sykes's Warbler...

Tim

Excellent 5 hours cruising Norfolk today, with 2 (and possibly 3) lifers without expecting them!

Started off at the Ryborough watchpoint. Got out of the car and looked up to see 2 Honey Buzzards (or so I was sure at the time) soaring together. The wing shape seemed perfect, and nothing I've ever seen in a common. However, I got to the top of the field, only to find that they had been put as common, after some debate. I was almost certain they were honeys! The constant wing width from body to tip was what I was going on, as underside pattern wasn't obvious, due to the bright light. Oh well, I'm sure I'll see one another day and clinch it 100%. Also seen here were a couple of Marsh Harriers, a Hobby, around 9 induvidual Common Buzzards and a Kestrel

Headed towards the coast, to visit Titchwell, via Choseley. On the way there were a couple of groups of birders parked along the sides of the road. I pulled over and was pointed in the direction of a Female Montagu's Harrier quartering a poppy field! Amazing! She was quickly joined by an adult male. the female soared so close at one point that I could count her primaries (not that I really needed comformation!) Superb! 2 Little Gulls showed up over a nearby field, and also 2+ Marsh Harriers were present. Excellent!

Now onto Choseley, needless to say on a bit of a high. 3 Corn Buntings were seen alond the road, as well as Yellowhammers and a male Marsh Harrier. Parked outside the barns and ate lunch sat on the bonnet of the car. 1 Corn Bunting singing from telegraph wires nearby. Also had a Yellow Wagtail flyover calling, which was unexpected, and rather good.

Titchwell produced of note; another Little Gull, this time a 1st winter, and a Little Ringed Plover north of parrinder hide. Also a group of Bearded Tits showing rather well.

Jason

Last edited:
Excellent 5 hours cruising Norfolk today, with 2 (and possibly 3) lifers without expecting them!

Nice result with the Honeys (if thats what they were) when I was there we struggled for just one Common Buzzard.

....and a pair of Ruddy Shelduck - lord knows where they sprang from?

Matt

Nice result with the Honeys (if thats what they were) when I was there we struggled for just one Common Buzzard.

....and a pair of Ruddy Shelduck - lord knows where they sprang from?

Matt

Lol that is a bit random. I dont know the area, but I assume there are a few pools nearby, as Common Terns were seen frequently. they may have been from there.

Jason

Lol that is a bit random. I dont know the area, but I assume there are a few pools nearby, as Common Terns were seen frequently. they may have been from there.

Jason

I've had Ruddy Shelduck there three times and did some investigating. There is a large pool in the grounds of the mansion house that the watch point looks over (you cant see it but its on the map) and they occur on that.

Went to Titchwell Saturday, water very high, not too much there, but on Sunday (just got back 12am Monday!!!!) Went on an AMAZING day out/twitch up the map!!!!! 2 new birds (see Birding Day thread)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Went to Titchwell Saturday, water very high, not too much there, but on Sunday (just got back 12am Monday!!!!) Went on an AMAZING day out/twitch up the map!!!!! 2 new birds (see Birding Day thread)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

That sounds exciting!!! I'm there!

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with the coastal walk between Sheringham and Weybourne?

And is it any good for birding, it's doubtfull I'd have enough time to walk to Cley without getting the bus so just wondering what potential there is for some good birds - probably better up towards Weybourne end?

Much appreciated

Matt

Anyone familiar with the coastal walk between Sheringham and Weybourne?

And is it any good for birding, it's doubtfull I'd have enough time to walk to Cley without getting the bus so just wondering what potential there is for some good birds - probably better up towards Weybourne end?

Much appreciated

Matt

Many moons ago, when I was a teenager, I regularly trained it to Sheringham and birded the area with the locals who went on to establish what is now Sheringham Bird Observatory. Occasionally used to walk through to Cley. Some great birding memories. As far as I know the path along the cliffs, via the golf course, is publicly accessible but someone with more accurate local knowledge may wish to verify. Still a terrific area for birds...

James

Many moons ago, when I was a teenager, I regularly trained it to Sheringham and birded the area with the locals who went on to establish what is now Sheringham Bird Observatory. Occasionally used to walk through to Cley. Some great birding memories. As far as I know the path along the cliffs, via the golf course, is publicly accessible but someone with more accurate local knowledge may wish to verify. Still a terrific area for birds...

James

Thanks james, that golf course itself looks as though it could be good in spring/autumn migration (seem to be fixated with golf courses at the moment!)

Does anyone know of a blog or link type thingy for more info regarding the Sheringham Bird Obs or just other local interest - just googled a search but didn't come up with much.

Matt

Last edited:
Little Bittern

Male Little Bittern at Titchwell this afternoon, i'm on my way now!!!!

By the way, i took this in valencia last month...

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back