• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (6 Viewers)

Sorry but I call all Mountains... Hills.I dont know if it is a bad habit,or a Scottish thing ?

This brings back memories. In my climbing days, many moons ago, we always referred to "a day on the hill" meaning going climbing, or just walking, in the mountains. We never used the word mountain, that was reserved for places like The Alps or The Himalayas or The Andes - proper mountains. Maybe this says something about the Scots attitude to life. Funnily enough, one particular hill always went simply by the name of "The Ben". A clue. It's near Fort William. B :)

This brings back memories. In my climbing days, many moons ago, we always referred to "a day on the hill" meaning going climbing, or just walking, in the mountains. We never used the word mountain, that was reserved for places like The Alps or The Himalayas or The Andes - proper mountains. Maybe this says something about the Scots attitude to life. Funnily enough, one particular hill always went simply by the name of "The Ben". A clue. It's near Fort William. B :)

and also the name of a BF Member...!

Anybody seen any Osprey at Lindores yet,I know it's early,but I saw one yesterday just north of Orwell farm,it was heading for Loch Leven,coming from the direction of Lindores.

Hi catkom3

I know exactly where the Osprey's that fish at Lindores loch nest (in a tree 150 yards from my house!) and they are not back yet.

They usually come back at the end of March (the last week).

I will let you know when they are back. Last year they successfully raised 3 chicks!

cheers

Hi Guys,

I thought i would start adding my tupence worth to the collection of reports.

My local patches are Birnie Loch, Gaddon Loch and the Lommond Hills ( more so West Lommond ).

Today i visited the Birnie where i seen :-

Goldeneye - 2 M , 6 F
Tufted Duck - 5 M, 4 F ??
Blue Tits - 15
Red Breasted Merganser - 1 M , 3 F
Mute Swan - 3
Mallard - Lost Count
Pied Wagtails on Raft - 15
Wigeon - 2 ( i think )
Great Tit - 4
Large flock of finches, mixed chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Linnet ( about 30 in total )

Time : 4pm
Date : 24 th Feb
Weather: Sunny and chilly, very little wind

Guys, i was contemplating creating a fife forum, purely for fife bird sitings and news, would any of you guys be interested ?

regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

You had a good day there. I've only been to Birnie once it's a lovely place isn't it

D

Glen Lyon

I had a ride along the Glen yesterday ( 13 miles ) over the Hydro road to Killin and then back over Ben Lawers. Saw a flock of about 12 Lapwings which are the first i,ve seen in the glen this year and Oystercatcher are back on the river. There were a number of Buzzards in the air enjoying the sunshine nearly all were threesomes presumably two males and a female in courtship display. Brown hares were showing very well in the fields at the end of Glen Lyon again presumably pairing up prior to mating and a huge number of red deer stags on the Lochs estate.
Malcolm

Malgos said:
over the Hydro road to Killin

Hi Malcolm

One of my favourite drives ever up here. Is that road always open now? I know there are gates on it which used to be locked on occasion.

D

Guys, i was contemplating creating a fife forum, purely for fife bird sitings and news, would any of you guys be interested ?

regards

Andy

I've been considering a separate Fife forum for a while, actually. There are quite a few of us Fifers about and there is a fair amount on offer.
After all, my local patch(es) are Cullaloe, Dalgety Bay, occasional trips to the Morton Lochs, Lochore Meadows, Townhill Loch
Then Ofc there's the sea watching at Fife Ness, the Isle of May (though that's debatable if it's actually considered Fife or not, though!)
And as you said, there's Birnie and Gaddon, Lindores, the Lomond Hills, etc, etc.
Might just be worth doing. Any other thoughts on this one?

The car isn't going - it's been written off, sadly.
I'm going to go put the deposit down on a new one this afternoon.

The neck is ok now, though still having a few issues with the back. I'm supposed to be back at work tomorrow, though, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Yes Delia The road is always open now,the gates have been removed its really a private road for Scottish Hydro but acess is allowed although its not generally advertised. Extreme care is needed in bad weather as the road is never gritted and rescue services (RAC,AA etc ) won,t come up there but its a really lovely drive and very good for moorland birds.Malcolm

delia i had today what i call a full day, unfortunatly they are arent that common for me, i left my house 7.00am and was at linthrathen resevoir 8ish, stopping in between, i had half an hour at reekie lynn, then headed for kinnordy ,the weather changed here:C,i went west heading for meigle (no osprey yet) then spent a few hours walking over tullybackart,i met a fellow walker and had an enjoyable chat talking about everything from the weather to the turbines ,i knew i didnt have enough time for the sidlaws so i headed for tayport harbour, nothing there apart from gulls so i went to the pond beside the caravan park,plenty godwits here on the shore;) i arrived home 4.45 and very tired, i then fell asleep which is why most my posts are usually late in the night, i seen tons of wildlife on my journey and used £14of fuel:C
but its worth every penny i just wish i could do it more often

Gosh! It was a lovely day for it though, after yesterday's gales.

meigle (no osprey yet)

Won't be long now.... patience;):-O

I walked along the river here and my best bird of the day was a Treecreeper. It's not often I hear them singing so quite pleased that I recognised it.

D

Hi Guys,

Today visited Gadden Loch near Ladybank, sat in the hide for about 1 hr and the following were seen

Pochard - 25
Wigeon - 9
Mute Swan - 9 ( one of which was a youngster really young, only half the size of normal swan and still with grey plumage. )
Great Crest Grebe - 1
Goosander - 2 Male - 6 female
Lapwing - 3
Coot - 1
Oystercatcher - 5
Tufted Duck - 6 Male - 10 Female
Goldeneye - 3 Male - 5 Female
Large Flock of Rooks
Blue Tit - 2
Great Tit - 1
Blackbirds - 12

All in All not bad for 4:30 - 5:30 PM from a little wooden hut !!

Love the hides, great protection from the cold.

regards

Andy

Hawfinches - they do exist after all!

A couple of winters ago, I had a number of failed attempts to see Hawfinches at Scone Palace (fitting in visits around work meetings in Perth). After reading the report of the latest Scottish bash, I thought I ought to try again. Today I was working not too far away and had an hour to spare, so I gave it a go.

I parked by the pond near the rear entrance, and wandered into the grounds and up the avenue towards the castle. I met a chap that was radio tracking hawfinches and although he was able to tell me which direction his tagged bird was, it was some considerable distance away. He did tell me it was the best time of year to find them, but that he could sometimes spend hours there without seeing them.

I spent about an hour wandering around the grounds, investigating any unusual calls (mostly great tits), and was getting ready to go back to the car, when I heard a sharp, penetrating 'tick' call from trees near the crossroads at the end of the lime avenue. This sounded like it was worth investigating, and sure enough there was a stonking Hawfinch perched halfway up a tree, looking down at me. After about 30 seconds, it flew up to the top of another tree where it joined two others. They stayed for a short while, before flying up the avenue towards the palace. Fantastic! Massive birds too, much bigger than I was expecting.

I'm so pleased to hear that you did see some at last Paul.

Interesting I didn't know any of them were radio tagged.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back