• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (3 Viewers)

A couple of winters ago, I had a number of failed attempts to see Hawfinches at Scone Palace (fitting in visits around work meetings in Perth). After reading the report of the latest Scottish bash, I thought I ought to try again. Today I was working not too far away and had an hour to spare, so I gave it a go.

I parked by the pond near the rear entrance, and wandered into the grounds and up the avenue towards the castle. I met a chap that was radio tracking hawfinches and although he was able to tell me which direction his tagged bird was, it was some considerable distance away. He did tell me it was the best time of year to find them, but that he could sometimes spend hours there without seeing them.

I spent about an hour wandering around the grounds, investigating any unusual calls (mostly great tits), and was getting ready to go back to the car, when I heard a sharp, penetrating 'tick' call from trees near the crossroads at the end of the lime avenue. This sounded like it was worth investigating, and sure enough there was a stonking Hawfinch perched halfway up a tree, looking down at me. After about 30 seconds, it flew up to the top of another tree where it joined two others. They stayed for a short while, before flying up the avenue towards the palace. Fantastic! Massive birds too, much bigger than I was expecting.
Can you get into the grounds without paying?

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes, you can if you go in the 'back way' i.e. parking a short way down the road going to the race course see map.

There's a wee pond on the right, park there then walk back about 50 yards.

D

Can you get into the grounds without paying?

Michael

I think they start charging for entry on 1 April. During the winter, visting is nominally by arrangement, but they don't seem too worried about people visiting the wider grounds. When I first visited a couple of years ago, I did feel a bit like I was trespassing, but yesterday I wandered all round the grounds, and passed a gardener and several cars, but no-one stopped me to ask what I was doing. I didn't go right up to the Palace or into the formal gardens.

To reach the back entrance, turn off the A93 in Old Scone onto the minor road to Stormontfield. The back entrance to the grounds is about 200 metres down this road on the left (open gateway in a wooden fence, with no entry to vehicles signs).Parking is a little further along on the right, next to a pond.

Great White Egret in Fife

Thought y'all might me interested to know that my parents had a great white egret flying south just south of cupar, fife, today late afternoon. They didn't have binoculars with them at the time but have spoken to my dad about it at length and it sounds solid - I grilled him at length about other possibilities such as spoonbill, little egret etc...

I went out birding in Perthshire/Angus a the weekend. Saturday went to various places along the coast but the only highlight was a brief veiw of the yellowlegs at the basin and a couple of Brent Geese. Then went to those inland Lochs in Angus winding up at Forfar and spotting an Adult Iceland Gull, first winter Glaucous Gull and an Adult Med Gull. We also heard water rail there.

On Sunday we thought we would go back to Forfar via Kinnordy. We saw a Hooded Crow on the journey just outside Couper Angus. There was'nt much at Kinnordy. Sadly I dipped the Little Grebe. We then moved onto Forfar where we saw plenty of ducks and we also got incredible views of the Iceland and Med Gull again. We also heard Water Rail again.

I also saw a drake Smew at Findartie Loch Leven Sunday morning so plenty of good birds all round.

I'm off to find this GWE from the previous post. It's a fabulous day out there!

Thanks, Delia and Capercaillie; I'll be in Perth on Wednesday and will go and have a look. Especially as I hear from the Yahoo group that there's a Nuthatch as well.

I was a Vane Farm yesterday and finally managed to see the Smew. I was standing watching some Goldeneye when the drake Smew flew right through the middle of the picture. Makes up for all the times I looked for it without success.

Michael

On my way to the Rugby at Murrayfield yesterday lunchtime I passed a Barn owl perched on a fence at the side of the M90, about a mile or two north of junction 8 near Glenfarg. Driving back after dark and I caught a glimpse of it hunting along the verge at about the same place. Unfortunately not the safest place for a barn owl to hunt.

Loch of Kinnordy

Hi,
I'm surprised to hear that there wasn't much at Kinnordy the other day. I haven't been there much lately, but given there are whoopers still hanging about, a few greylags looking like they are thinking about nesting, and lots of gulls back already it seems a great place at the moment. Lapwing and oystercatchers are brightening the place up too.

I'll be in Perth on Wednesday and will go and have a look. Especially as I hear from the Yahoo group that there's a Nuthatch as well.
I did go yesterday, but no luck with the Hawfinches or Nuthatch. I did get some nice views of a Treecreeper, so not a complete bust.

Michael

i had a couple of hours walking the sidlaws this afternoon,the birds are finally coming back,its been very dismal the last few months, i had bluetit/great ti/robin/goldfinch/yellowhammer/carrion crow/plus some small unidentified brown birds at the bottom of the hills, 6 red grouse 2xpairs plus 2 singles, 1 pair of buzzards, 1 stonechat,while walking along a path 2 wrens landed either side of me ,the one on the left about ten feet away started singing very loudly,as soon as it stopped the one on the other side about thirty feet away began singing, very nice,on the way down i came across a male kestral chasing a female,they were jumping from pylon to pylon one was calling out (not sure which one)i hope they pick a better nest site than last year as this was a total disaster and as far as i know no young were raised

There was an Adult Iceland Gull just east of Burleigh Sands, Loch Leven yesterday night. It is only the second record for the site. There was also a drake Scaup there. There is also a summer plumaged Slavonian Grebe at Vane Farm. The Black Swan is still at Burleigh Sands on the oil seed rape field.

Raptors galore

Driving over the Langside, we stopped to watch a Red Kite. As we watched through binoculars, it went into a stoop and hit a crow sitting on a power line. The crow flew away, though whether unscathed or not, I don't know. I wondered aloud if the Kite had actually been trying to predate on the Crow? My wife said no, they were carrion eaters. This led to some 'discussion' until I looked up my little RSPB book and was able to quote: catches birds up to the size of a crow...in surprise dash. Wow, hold the front page: Husband Wins Argument.

Further along we saw a Kestrel and a Marsh Harrier. At first we thought from the moorland setting, it must be a Hen Harrier, but no, we had clear views of it and it was definitely a female Marsh Harrier.

Walking the Glen Lednock Circular we came upon a whole treeful of Coal Tits, with one solitary Blue Tit right at the top. Then more Red Kite drama. We saw a pair of Kites bombing another raptor, which I thought was a Buzzard and my wife thought might be an Osprey. Anyway the bird under attack at one point rolled over in the air and struck upwards at one of its tormentors with its talons. Then it flew off to hide in some pines. The Kites drifted away and the Buzzard/Osprey emerged, flew up over the pines, apparently to see if the coast was clear, then continued about its business. Not much further on we heard and saw a Raven.

Driving back along the Langside on the way home, we saw the Marsh Harrier again (Ho-hum). This time we could see that it seemed to be hunting along the water-filled gullies on the hillside. Further along we saw another Red Kite (most likely the same one as before) and some more Buzzards.

Michael

Been working this weekend but managed a couple of hours yesterday in Fife where there was a nice Adult summer plumaged Med Gull at Leven Fife.

I went for a run up the Lomands this morning. I saw a Short eared owl near east Lomand car park and a Snow Bunting between the peaks plus loads of Red Grouse and displaying mipits and skylark.

As a newcomer to the area and indeed scotland could you kindly tell me where the Lomands are.
Thanks Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

The Lomonds are the ridge of hills beside Loch Leven.

I'll leave it to the 'locals' to describe the best access points for you.

You could probably see them if you got high enough... the Paps at each end are visible from a long way off.

D

The Lomands is Fifes biggest upland country park. There are many access points to what is a very access friendly park.

Unfortunately www.fifecoastandcountrysidetrust.co.uk does'nt appear to be working which I believe contains info on the site.

Your best bet is picking up their leaflet/map from one of their access points. There is a road which goes through the heart of the Lomands. The three best car parks are located at NO226060, NO251058 and NO224035. These car parks are all quite high up and are a good starting points.

You could try phoning the Fife rangers office in Glenrothes on 01592583240 to get the leaflet. They are great guys and I'm sure will be very helpful.

Hope this helps.

I went out for some post Merseyside Derby birdwatching last night which proved most productive with Loch Levens 8th Black-throated Diver plus Slav Grebe, a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers and 2 Sand Martins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back