• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magic Moments (1 Viewer)

RKell1

Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Not long back from my daily (nightly) walk with my dogs and what a walk it turned into.
While walking along by a section that runs adjacent to fields, a shadow crossing a street light caught my eye. I looked over and there was the ghost of the night, a fabulous 'Barn Owl'...I stopped and made a few tseeee tseeee sounds and to my surpirse the Owl turned back in my direction. I kept making the noise and it circled me twice, no more then 10ft above my head, before heading off across the fields..... I've never seen a Barn Owl this close and am still on a bit of a high...What a picture it would have made with it's white shadow against a partially moonlight sky....This is what birding is all about, those little moments..

Ray

Good Heavens above Ray!

It sounds like one of those wonderful heart-stopping moments and certainly has to be a 'once in a lifetime' sort of thing surely! No wonder you're on such a high!

"What Birding is all about" for certain - though a little moment slightly underestimates such an amazing event. It has to have been sheer magic and thanks so much for letting us sheer in it with you as I could 'see' it brilliantly!

Sue.

Wow!!!

Cor Ray, I'm bursting with envy. I have been on an Owl hunt for over a year, you deserve to be on a high, what a magical experience.
Well done Ray.

Oh!! what a wonderful experience Ray. Magical indeed. Your description was so good, I could 'see' it too!! Thanks for sharing a little bit of the magic with us.
All the Best,

Hi Ray,
One of those moments we never forget eh?
It sounded amazing and I like the others saw it clearly through your description.....thanks so much for sharing! :t:
Best wishes,

Outstanding Ray, what a great expierence shared.This is the sort of thing that makes finding BF so enjoyable cheers for that

Daf

Wow Ray, lucky, lucky you. I have to admit that I have seen various Barn Owls, but only once at night and it is a magical experience. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Ooooooh! you lucky so and so Ray. That must have been fantastic. Well done to you :clap: Thanks for sharing .

Best wishes

I remember seeing a programme in which Simon King lay down in some long grass in a part of a field where a Barn Owl was seen to regularly hunt. He made some squeaking noises as though he were a prey item and the owl actually came close to investigate and hovered over him for a few seconds before deciding there was nothing of interest there and flying off - very like your owl Ray!

We have quite a few Barn Owls up here and I often used to see them flying by as I drove in to work ( 5.30am start) and they are a truly magical beast that givres you a buzz that lasts all day long! o:)

Thank you for sharing that with us - it is experiencing, and sharing, moments like this which make life worth living. :loveme:

Last edited:
I'll often copy the songs with Robins and Great Tits and it never fails to pull them in closer but never thought a bird imitation would bring an owl close. Haven't a clue what bird makes that tseeeee at night time, only lasts a second or two and always seems to be flying overhead too!. Anyone ever hear that at night? or know what it is?...

Fabulous! I once had one swooping just above the windscreen of the car for about half a mile and that was thrilling.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back